Datnoid behaving abnormally

Cichlids+Oddballs

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have a Datnoid who is sinking and staying at the bottom of the tank. I don't see any outward signs of damage, but do see some redness around the base of the pectoral fins. A water test about a week ago did show 0.5 - 1ppm of Ammonia after I noticed the Dat behaving abnormally, I did an immediate water change of about 50% and added Stress Coat, Ammo Lock and Quickstart. A water test the next day and thereafter showed 0 ppm Ammonia and has been 0 ppm since with everyday testing. Nitrite has stayed at 0 ppm

I stopped feeding the tank for about 3 days and recently restarted. The Dat does eat with vigor, but seems to have trouble staying afloat. I'm just trying to figure out if the fish has a medical issue or is merely having moody Dat behavior. I've attached a photo. I would attach a video, but I'm having trouble uploading a video Thought I'd get some input before I try other things such as medicating the tank with Kanaplex or Prazipro. It might be a bacterial infection of the swim bladder, but I'm not sure.

Other fishes in the tank appear healthy and active, at least to me.

Any help is much appreciated!

IMG_7418.jpeg

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
From the picture, he just looks moody. Try not to experiment with too many medications.

What is the temperature of the water? You can have such behaviour if the temperature is either too low or too high.

Is he breathing well? Are his pectoral fins flapping as usual?

Try chucking in a few live ghost shrimp (if you can get them). If he is going to eat anything, it will be that.

Nice looking fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I stand with Midwater on medicating,no point in trying to treat an unidentified ailment but it sounds to me that your fish may have some kind of swim bladder issue going on....

Cichlids+Oddballs

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2022
Appreciate the input, guys. Any recommendations on treating a swim bladder ailment? Fish is eating well. I can tell it has swimming issues going after food. He's on frozen fish.

The pectoral fins are moving pretty constantly. Temp is around 80-81F.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
It may be swim bladder, nut I am not convinced.

In your picture, he is nicely situated on the bottom next to a suitable piece of wood. Perfect ambush position. I see this often with most of my smaller dats.

I would not be too concerned, but I do think he is expecting live food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store