Datnoid Breeding?

rrsalcedo

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2019
I've been doing some research into Datnoids lately and realized most are WC. I was able to find a thread on MFK from back in 2013 where members speculated there is indeed captive breeding taking place by someone in Vietnam. Being that it is now 2019, I'm curious if anyone has had experience with breeding Dats, especially since there always seems to be a steady supply of them year round. Another interesting point is that youtube does not have many videos on this topic.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
This is a subject that has been debated all over the globe. There is videos on youtube from farms in asia that states they have successfully bred siamese tigers. I want to believe in it but im still a little sceptical about it. There is a thread here on the forum where i linked some videos about it. Its in the datnioid subforum somewhere.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Here's the thread Tobias is referring to, with links to some videos: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/anybody-think-datnoids-arent-captive-bred.554601/ -- but they're in Thai, which is why you couldn't find them on YouTube. But it appears that Thailand and maybe Vietnam do have some breeding projects going on, but it's probably with NTT's & IT's and it's not clear whether they've reached commercial capacity.

Also as Tobias mentions there's some outfit in Singapore that claims to be breeding ST's, but they're super expensive (and they're not sharing their techniques, they're in it for the money, not preservation of the species far as I can see).

rrsalcedo

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2019
Thanks for the info! I figured they're sort of like peacock bass. Since they get so big, not many people have the adequate space for the fish to feel comfortable enough to breed. I'll take a look at that link you sent over.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I doubt that breeding them is anything like peacock bass. Peacocks will breed given a mate and clean water. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are doing sneaky stuff over there in Thailand like insemination to get those fish to breed. But like mentioned above I wouldn’t expect Anyone to share that info.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I doubt that breeding them is anything like peacock bass. Peacocks will breed given a mate and clean water. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are doing sneaky stuff over there in Thailand like insemination to get those fish to breed. But like mentioned above I wouldn’t expect Anyone to share that info.
Agreeing with breeding cichlas. They are cichlids. Pair them up and they will breed eventually.
With datnioids ive seen videos where they put the eggs in an basket and sprays male milk and hormones over the eggs.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Here is a video of spawning of Siamese tiger by my friend without any hormone injection.

This one is about Indonesian tiger.

They lays hundred thousands (sometimes million for big parents) of floating, really small eggs.
so hatched frys can't eat altamia at all, they are even smaller than altamia itself.
The problem that no one had solve successfully yet is raising that small frys to bigger fish.

They have totally different breeding ecology with any other freshwater aquarium fish.
But more like marine fish like sea perch or tuna.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store