Datnoid id & eye help

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
So got this Datnoid from my LFS today and he had been living in a sump for a long time. He looks to be 8-9 inches. When I put him in the tank noticed both sides are clouded. Can you help me ID the Datnoid, is it an IT? Also, do you think the eyes are permanently damaged?

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
So got this Datnoid from my LFS today and he had been living in a sump for a long time. He looks to be 8-9 inches. When I put him in the tank noticed both sides are clouded. Can you help me ID the Datnoid, is it an IT? Also, do you think the eyes are permanently damaged?

This is an IT dat.
By the looks of it, the eyes should be completely fine if given clean water, low stress, and time.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
So you don't think it is some sort of permanent damage from being in the sump? I was told I could get my money back and return him, but kind of feel bad.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
So you don't think it is some sort of permanent damage from being in the sump? I was told I could get my money back and return him, but kind of feel bad.
No I don't think so. Normally when both eyes are cloudy it is from stress and/or poor water quality. This can be easily reversed with no damage to the eyes.

• Love
Reactions: Wharf

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
What was making me wonder is he was going at my SD's but they are way too big for him to fit in his mouth. So I thought he was just seeing motion but not able to see their size respectively. The reality is he could be borderline starving.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It does have an angular looking jawline and the belly is a bit sunken,telltale signs that the fish has missed a few meals in my experience....sounds like a pretty aggressive dat which was likely why it was kept in a sump.

Reactions: Polypterus_36

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
If the actual ball inside the eye is turning white it will go blind. This is usually from a internal Bacterial infection. Could also be the cause of the Dat getting more aggressive from losing it’s vision.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store