Datnoid Questions

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello! I have been looking into getting a dat and I would like to know what is the smallest type? I know silvers stay small but I dont wanna mess with brackish water I have heard that sumatra datnoidoly get 12-14" I dont know how accurate that is but let me know I have also heard that NGT only get 14-16"on average let me know!

Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K krichardson

banesbane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
United States
IME/IMO NTTs stay small but that might be a parasite issue. Getting them up to size is incredibly difficult. NGT are a hard fish to keep, would probably prefer some brackish water eventually as well, but can for sure live its whole life in fresh.

Size wise I would say:
Silver/AT (smallest)
NGT (by far the most aggressive IME)
NTT
IT (IME Sumatrans and all other indos get about the same size)

Reactions: magicmike87

NCTRNL

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
Hello! I have been looking into getting a dat and I would like to know what is the smallest type? I know silvers stay small but I dont wanna mess with brackish water I have heard that sumatra datnoidoly get 12-14" I dont know how accurate that is but let me know I have also heard that NGT only get 14-16"on average let me know!

Thanks!
They grow fairly slow but can get pretty big. I personally like all the south East Asian variants. I like to start them small as it’ll take a long time before they’re too big and actually have to worry bout housing. But this is coming from someone who loves dats a lot with sizes ranging from 2”- bigger than VHS tape size ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store