Datnoid tank stocking

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
Can I keep datnoids in my 125 gallon. It’s 6ft long and about 18 inches wide. If so how many datnoids and what else.

Reactions: dr exum

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K krichardson

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
This thread did not go anywhere,

I’ve been wondering same, just need money....

obviously they can be 18” or so....

if someone were to get a group of say 10, how long would it take for the keeper to lose interest or for them to get to 18” if bought at say 2”-3”...

Undecided on the mix or 5-7 ST’s or 2-3of the 5...

just need ~$1500

go for it!

let me know if you find info!

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
The smaller the Datnoid the more you can put in but as the dats grow you’ll have to weed some out to stop over crowding. 3-4 would be a good number cause any less the fighting will be bad and once they hit a good size you may want to get a bigger tank or just JDM the tank.... I’m one to not care about the inch per gallons stuff.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I have a group of 7 that i bought when they were about 1 cm long (indonesians). They are now variably sized, from 2 - 4 "; ive had them close to a year. They are in a 50 gal with some silver dollars, a jurapari and a few loaches. They each have a hiding place and pretty much stay there unless there is something to eat. They also only feed at night unless a feeder goldfish wanders into their hiding place. They're destined for 150gal when larger, and I will probably have to part with some of them. So far they're get along great.

Reactions: BigShawn

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
What kind of dats first off? Some get larger than others. In general though, they grow pretty slow. By pretty slow I dont mean "sort of slow, 1" a month" I mean a snails pace. Especially at first because theyll be shy for a while and not want to eat. I cant speak for everyone but anytime Ive bought datnoids with the exception of 2, its taken 2 to 4 weeks for them to start eating shrimp and another 2 months or so for them to actually come out and be somewhat comfortable with me. That being said, all the ones I buy are over 5" and babies may be easier to train. Id say get a solid handful, maybe 7 to 12 and sell them off as they grow until youre down to around 4 or 5. Eventually youll need something bigger but your tank would be fine for at least 4 or 5 years easy. So youll probably upgrade before they outgrow it.

Reactions: AaronKWolfe
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store