Datnoids Bickering

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Little help here.. I have 3 Indo Dats that were all 2 inches when I bought them. Now 2 are 4.5 inches and eating pellets and black worms and the 3rd one is 2.5 inches and only eats worms. The two bigger ones fight each other continuously and they take turns hammering the small one especially at feeding time. I have a divider that separates 1/4 of my 150g tank. I’ve had the two big ones separated together to see if they would get along at some point but they still fight. Should I just let them alone take divider out and see what happens. Don’t want them to stress or kill the small one or each other, I started with 4 and one got so stressed and died. My Flag Tail, Arowana, and 2 Uarus are fine. Has anyone had to deal with this problem before. Any ideas? They all have great color but with all the fighting they stay dark. I really want the two big ones to grow together cause they both love pellets

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Dats are mostly solitary in the wild,sometimes they get along in tanks and sometimes they don't.Do you have any hiding spots in the tank for them to retreat too?

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Dats are mostly solitary in the wild,sometimes they get along in tanks and sometimes they don't.Do you have any hiding spots in the tank for them to retreat too?
Lots of driftwood rocks and places to hide but the most aggressive one keeps other two behind hob filters especially during feeding. Right now two big ones behind divider.. ones at the top pointing up aggressive one at bottom under driftwood. Small one happy on other side.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Should I just take divider out and let them have at it. I believe when they get bigger the aggressiveness will start to dwindle down

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would remove the divider and prepare to remove your least favorite dats as well.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
I have a big net.. would it be ok to house my “least” favorite dat in the net while l fatten up my favorite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store