dead fish

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
This may seem a little morbid, but what do you guys do with your fish when they die? Do you eat them? I have heard that some people eat their fish when they die. Do you throw them away?(what a waste) Feed them to your other fish in small chunks? Or are you like me, and do you study them? On the rare ocassion that one of my fish dies I study the anatomical features. Mainly because catfish anatomy intrigues me. I am in the miltiary now, and I am studying to be a zoologist. I want to specialize in skull morphology of fish. So if you guys have any extra fish/fish heads that you don't need, please let me know. It would really help further my studies. I would even be willing to pay a small fee for your dead fish. I am really interested in what you guys do with your dead fish though. Bet someone has some funny stories. When my rtc died from bad feeders I dissected him and found that he had glass(from a busted heater), rocks, and bone in his stomach. I also prepared his skull for study/display. I will try to post some pics when I get a chance, in my album. This site is great guys. I love it allready.
cliff

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Depending on the size of a dead fish, If theyll flush then to the toilet they go, Seeing as Ive never liked the taste of fish I dont eat them(although Ive heard Oscars are good eatin). So more or less big fish are either trashed or used as fertilizer.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
:screwy: one guy I knew, ate his rtc when it got too big for him to handle. He told me it tasted like pork.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Centralmayhem does eat them when their dead, they have to be alive and kicking :ROFL:

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My big Aro is being mounted right now! I can't wait to get him back! But otherwise we flush them, or bury them.

Jen ;) (by the way....Welcome)

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
Periwinkles and crabs take away my fish before I even know they are dead, I have never seen or removed a dead fish from my tank. Of course I am only talking minnows, not the big monsters.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
well from now on, if you don't want them you can allways see if I am interested and maybe make a few bucks too. I am really interested in cranial morphology, mostly in catfish, but all fish are studied. I hate messin with little ones though. Bones too brittle.

Fish_are_fishfood

Sea Robin
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
MA
I got some skulls and stuff, heres one of, well I am not to sure..ha you tell me...

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
:headbang2 nice skull, little nasty looking though. You should think about giving it a peroxide bath. That will whiten it, and kill any germs. you should leave it for about 3 or 4 days in peroxide. You can use the medical stuff they sell in any grocery store cheap. Be warned, it might fall into about 100 pieces, and need to be rearticulated. If you don't know how to do that then, you can allways ask me! :thumbsup:

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
not sure what species that would be from, looks similar to a kingfish skull though.
Willing to part with it?

Fish_are_fishfood said:
I got some skulls and stuff, heres one of, well I am not to sure..ha you tell me...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store