Decisions, Decisions. Polys in a planted tank

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
It's been a while, everyone! I've been away at college for the past 2 years and I finally have a house, which means aquariums can make a comeback! My first endeavor will be to set up my 100 ish gallon tank again. I am planning on turning it into a planted tank with lots of manzanita to anchor anubias, java ferns, and other plants on in order to create a nice habitat for my fish. The tank has a footprint of 5x1.5ft and I was looking for input on which bichirs might like to call my aquarium home. I know that all lower jaws will be far too large (not to mention disastrous to my plants) and some upper jaws such as the ornates will as well. I for lighting, I will be running 2 30w led fixtures for lighting in order to help the plants grow. I realize that the bichirs will prefer a dimmer tank, so I will be hardscaping the tank in a manner that will provide them with plenty of cover. My initial thought was a group of ropefish, but I would also like to know if anyone has any other ideas!

I won't have the tank hardscaped for probably another 2 weeks and I'm going to give it at least a month after that to completely cycle and let the plants root into the substrate and attach to the wood and rocks. Once I have the tank layout complete, I will be sure to upload some pictures!

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
I'd consider senegals too, since they are smallest. Also - dry start. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.
My ropes and albino senegal like to lie down on monte carlo carpet a lot, but for that I'd increase a little bit on ligthing. Make it a 4 x 30w or at least 3 x 30w. Also you can make caves for them in case they will want more darkness when light is on. (I prefer 6-hour lighting period)

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I'd consider senegals too, since they are smallest. Also - dry start. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.
My ropes and albino senegal like to lie down on monte carlo carpet a lot, but for that I'd increase a little bit on ligthing. Make it a 4 x 30w or at least 3 x 30w. Also you can make caves for them in case they will want more darkness when light is on. (I prefer 6-hour lighting period)
I definitely plan on dry starting. I haven't ever planted a tank that way, so I wanted to give it a shot. Not to mention, the last time I planted a tank with water already in it I kept messing up my own work lol.
Personally Senegals would be a excellent choice but I would stick to Anubias and the Java Ferns. Java Moss was torn apart by my Senegal group lol.
Good to know on the moss. I was hoping to get it to cover a lot of the driftwood, but if it has a tendency of getting torn up, I'll steer clear of it. No sense in wasting money!
Allot of members seem to love polli's for their activity
That's why I want them again! All of mine in the past had quite the personality!

Reactions: jaws7777

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Also, I had forgotten about the Palmas varieties until now. I loved their colors when I had them previously, so is it possible that they would do well in a planted tank or might they get a little bit on the large side for a tank like I want?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store