Decoration themes?

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
We all love watching our fish, but do you want your tank(s) to display more than just the fish? Do you want it to reflect other intrests or aspects of your life? Maybe make it a multifaceted teaching tool? Freak out guests and people you live with? What are your craziest, coolest, weirdest tank decorating ideas? I saw this
Screenshot_2019-01-18-02-03-13.png
and thought a horror/sci-fi loving fish nerd would love an Alien themed tank stocked with some oddball type fish.

Emma and I have been collecting specimens for a fossil themed planted tank. Its been a ton of fun so far because not only do we get to nerd out over research and identifying what we find but we also get to go (ROAD TRIP!) digging in the cliffs around the James river. We like getting muddy for science and fish here. I'm loving this project so far for so many reasons.

Inspire me with more awesomeness!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I want to recreate my childhood garden in one of my tanks, I hit a road block though when trying to find something to recreate all the creeping vines that entangled everything.. I tried moss but it didn't look right.

I was having success with ambulia by wrapping it around stuff and tying it, but it doesn't wrap properly around less girthy items, it just sort of snaps and fails. :(

Still looking though. :)

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I want to recreate my childhood garden in one of my tanks, I hit a road block though when trying to find something to recreate all the creeping vines that entangled everything.. I tried moss but it didn't look right.

I was having success with ambulia by wrapping it around stuff and tying it, but it doesn't wrap properly around less girthy items, it just sort of snaps and fails. :(

Still looking though. :)
I love this idea! Does it have to be a live plant or could you use a quality fake?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I love this idea! Does it have to be a live plant or could you use a quality fake?
If I could find a quality fake plant I'd consider it, but I can't even find a proper craft store down here. Best I can find is an art store but they don't sell fake plants, and the fake plants at the pet stores don't look at all like vines lol

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
That could work, it very much resembles a plant that was covering a rockbed that had orange flowers.

Whether or not its legal here is another question.. Almost everything is illegal here. :(
The plant I'm thinking of is called nasturtium apparently (had to Google it)
But nan also had Jasmine, and a few other climbing plants overtaking the yard so I'd need a few different looking ones lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store