Denisom Barb Swim Bladder Help

Dycofree

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2017
Hey all. Long time no post. I am ufortunately back today not for a good reason. I woke up yesterday to find my largest Denison Barb laying belly up in my tank. The tank is stocked with 8 Denisons, 1 Red Spotted Severum, 2 Bristlenose Plecos, and about 15 cories. 125 gallons, temp at 76. Every other Denison and fish in the tank seems perfectly healthy, and I havent had the slightest issue with this tank for nearly a year (its been up for two). The Denison in question has a bit of a swollen stomach even for him, and it seems his anus (for lack of a better term) is bulging on his stomach. Upon finding him and researching yesterday, I gave him an epsom salt balt in a hosptal tank for 15 minutes. Today, he was the same after treatment and cant move about in the tank without wiggling on the sand. This was out of nowhere and he showed no signs of any of this the night before last (Monday). He is currently in another epsom salt soak but for longer today, probably around 30 minutes. I’m worried that the easy solution (constipation) can be ruled out by now as I havent fed since I found him and have soaked him twice now. I will attach a picture for reference, but I need some opinions as to if you think this is a physicaly injury that took place over night or if this is something bacterial. The bacterial party doesnt make any sense to me as there have been no new additions to this tank in a year and a half, and no other fish is showing signs of anything. Furthermore, this was the “dominant” Denison, and theres no way stress of being picked on is in the realm of possibility. Im starting to wonder if euthanizing is the most human element here, however again I’m not sure what the best course of action is. Love to hear your opinions. Thanks all.

8DDBEE17-C7E8-4C1F-99A5-3B73333D5AB9.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would try to lower the water level low enough that the fish will stay upright. Can shove some plants or decor to get to lean on/in it and stay upright. Can add kanamycin. If not better then I’d consider euthanasia.

Dycofree

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2017
I would try to lower the water level low enough that the fish will stay upright. Can shove some plants or decor to get to lean on/in it and stay upright. Can add kanamycin. If not better then I’d consider euthanasia.
Do you think this falls in line with physical injury? The cluster of it all has ailed my ability to think clearly. Ive had these guys since they were barely two inches and its so sad that it has to come to this. If it were constipation/overfeeding, id imagine others would be exibiting this behavior. Im think he hit the glass at one point (which I specifically recall them becoming spooked and hitting the glass on Sunday), but wasnt sure if it wouldve taken two days to show signs.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do you think this falls in line with physical injury? The cluster of it all has ailed my ability to think clearly. Ive had these guys since they were barely two inches and its so sad that it has to come to this. If it were constipation/overfeeding, id imagine others would be exibiting this behavior. Im think he hit the glass at one point (which I specifically recall them becoming spooked and hitting the glass on Sunday), but wasnt sure if it wouldve taken two days to show signs.
Could be from trauma but i wouldn’t lean in that direction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store