Detritus in Fahaka tank

Sticky90

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
I’ve been struggling with a detritus problem in my 220g fahaka tank (she’s 7-8”). I replaced the cannister with a 90g sump and have reduced feedings but still have the ugly things crawling on my glass. They disappeared for a couple weeks after the sump switch. I vacuum the sand and 100g water change every week or more.

Short of draining the whole tank and sump is there anything I can do? I tried platies and comets to eat the excess but she still isn’t a fan of tankmates.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’ve been struggling with a detritus problem in my 220g fahaka tank (she’s 7-8”). I replaced the cannister with a 90g sump and have reduced feedings but still have the ugly things crawling on my glass. They disappeared for a couple weeks after the sump switch. I vacuum the sand and 100g water change every week or more.

Short of draining the whole tank and sump is there anything I can do? I tried platies and comets to eat the excess but she still isn’t a fan of tankmates.
If possible can you post a pic of the crawling things on the glass.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you have that much detritus worms, you will have to increase the substrate vacuuming to like everyday, and use micron filter socks that get changed everyday to remove the excess poo matter and food particles. Trying to kill the detritus worms will only hide the problem and not solve it.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Clean the substrate if u have any. Or if it's on the glass only get some small fish like guppies or tetras to eat the worms

Sticky90

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2020
If you have that much detritus worms, you will have to increase the substrate vacuuming to like everyday, and use micron filter socks that get changed everyday to remove the excess poo matter and food particles. Trying to kill the detritus worms will only hide the problem and not solve it.
That’s what I’ve started doing the last 4-5 days is daily vacuuming and haven’t seen them on the glass for a few days since. I will replace the filter socks more frequently though as that sounds like it could be a lingering problem area

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Are you also stirring the substrate well before or during vacuums / water changes? Coz i noticed if you just vacuum there is a good chance you’re missing certain areas, so sometimes getting something like a wooden spoon or similar to give the tank substrate a good stir really helps…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store