Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Deworming Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Hidan, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Hidan

Hidan MFK Members

Jarron
      Yesterday at 4:45 AM
      I was watching this video from a experience fish keeper and he mentioned that he always deworms any new stock he purchases as a precautionary method to avoid infecting his existing fish.

Can anyone give me the details, if you guys do the same. Also can the medicine be added to the main tank (rather than the quarantine). Also would adding this affect the sump/filters beneficial bacteria and will it linger in the sponge and effect the fish at a later date.

I have picked up Tetras and have dwarf gouramies from a couple of weeks and am expecting about 12 Discus soon. So want to get this sorted asap. So would appreciate any advise I can get.

2. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 7:56 AM
      Levamisole should help with deworming. Can add to the tank and not affect the beneficial bacteria.

3. phreeflow

phreeflow MFK Members

Today at 12:52 AM
      QT tank is always best so you can observe the fish and see what pops up. If it’s internal parasites, they may eat but not gain weight, have sunken or bloated stomachs, or pass clear feces or even have worms hanging out of their anuses. Depending on symptoms, you can better select meds to target those specific issues. But to answer your question, yes, I almost always deworm all my fish as I focus on plecos and they all go through a full quarantine. Metrondazinole and praziquantel are good general dewormers and they are relatively gentle on most fish and filters and you can treat the whole tank. Flubendazole or levamisole are stronger meds for more persistent issues or different types of parasites like camanallus. When I kept discus, I’d always deworm them as they often suffer from internal worms

4. Rocksor

Rocksor MFK Members

Friday at 8:58 AM
      Treat with praziquental for the week , and later treat with 2ppm of levamisole 3 times, in the tank tank.

kno4te likes this.
    5. Hidan

Hidan MFK Members

Jarron
      Yesterday at 4:45 AM
      I have a 120G tank. What is the amount of praziquental I should add.
      Also is this available in powder/liquid form readily.

Thankfully none of the tetras or the dwarf gourami seem to have a problem. They are happily swimming, eating well and putting on weight.
      Just a bit paranoid as the discus are going to cost a fair bit and don't want to end up with problems after they arrive.

6. Rocksor

Rocksor MFK Members

Follow the directions on the bottle or you can look up the directions to Hikari Prazipro, paying attention to the % of praziquental in the product.

7. Cardeater

Cardeater MFK Members

Today at 4:51 AM
      This seems like a good, recent thread to bump concerning prophylactic deworming.

Can someone be please explain the schedule for this? Would you give a rest period between giving the prazi and then the levamisole?

I have general cure, which has metronidazole and praziquantel. It says to dose, repeat after 48 hours, and then wait another 48 hours, and basically remove it (they suggest 25% water change and then adding carbon).

Would you wait a bit before doing levamisole after that? If so, how long? I know the levamisole treatment should be repeated after 2-3 weeks to kill any eggs that hatch.

Finally, which treatment is more risky? I've got like a week left on my fish guarantee so I should use whichever one is harsher on the fish first, just in case.

My fish don't show any real symptoms but I realize it could takes months for internal parasites to show symptoms so I'm on board with preventatively treating in the QT tank. I have 20+ year old fish in the main tank that I want to protect.

Finally, should I decrease feeding for the fish? I'm not sure if I trust the QT tank (10g) to go 4 days without a water change for general cure treatment as I have 8 fish jammed in there. Filter is mature, but I showed a small 0.25 nitrite spike yesterday. Would that be a reason to do levamisole first, since it's only a 24 hour treatment?

Thanks for any clarifications. I want to start a dose tonight.

8. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 7:56 AM
    9. Cardeater

Cardeater MFK Members

Today at 4:51 AM
      I just dropped in a levamisole dose. It's a 24 treatment so I figured I can rest them a few days and start the general cure treatment a few days before guarantee runs out.

I really hope this doesn't kill any of these guys: rainbowfish and clown loaches but I'd rather be safe than sorry later in my main tank.

I followed the dosing instructions from loaches site which I saw in another thread is sourced from the same DR that RD sources, so therefore realiable. I had to follow the 1/4 tsp divided into ten parts as my scale wasn't accurate enough.

10. Rocksor

Rocksor MFK Members

I haven't had 2ppm of levamisole or praziquental kill my fish. I've even treated a scaleless south american lungfish with both medications in quarantine.