Did I ruin my air stones?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Did you use plain regular bleach or that fancy new concentrated bleach?

I think you used too much bleach just to sanitize them. The usual ration is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water if I remember correctly.

Do you remember which brand of pond air stones you bought or what material they are made of?

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
Sorry to hear about the Koi, that estate i got the pond liners from, the deceased had tons of koi ponds, several that were free dug about 8 ft deep, maybe 15 ft on each side of a square. Dont know who ended up with all the fish but i was told they did not pay. I was a day late and dollar short, he also had tons of aquariums...:(

If it was me, I'd toss those stones.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Did you use plain regular bleach or that fancy new concentrated bleach?

I think you used too much bleach just to sanitize them. The usual ration is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water if I remember correctly.

Do you remember which brand of pond air stones you bought or what material they are made of?
It was just regular splashless bleach. I agree I used way too much. I don’t know what I was thinking. I just started pouring it and then realized I had dumped in way more then I intend to use.

Pawfly maybe? That’s what I find when I look on amazon, but not sure if that is the same brand I bought. The air stone looks the same. Mineral stone and epoxy?
They worked great, lots of aeration.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to hear about the Koi, that estate i got the pond liners from, the deceased had tons of koi ponds, several that were free dug about 8 ft deep, maybe 15 ft on each side of a square. Dont know who ended up with all the fish but i was told they did not pay. I was a day late and dollar short, he also had tons of aquariums...:(

If it was me, I'd toss those stones.
It’s a painful loss for sure. Still can’t believe they are gone.

Sounds like someone got a really great deal if those were quality koi. Even if they were just pond grade pet stores here charge $200+ for a 12” koi. Free is great.

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
It’s a painful loss for sure. Still can’t believe they are gone.

Sounds like someone got a really great deal if those were quality koi. Even if they were just pond grade pet stores here charge $200+ for a 12” koi. Free is great.
If i ever get a big pond, i want to raise channel cats and tilapia. I also garden, if i raise it or tend it, i want to eat it. Judging by his ponds, he had many. Wish I had gotten to know, he lived blocks away for years, I never knew. There are some big aqua culture outfits out in the rural county, here. Sorry to be off topic. On that note, i wonder if i messed mine up by putting directly to use, instead of soaking, one hour, like the package said?

I had a "bar" about 8 inches long, the output was meager, i now use a standard (2 of them ) like an inch long, in my 30. Output is better.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
If i ever get a big pond, i want to raise channel cats and tilapia. I also garden, if i raise it or tend it, i want to eat it. Judging by his ponds, he had many. Wish I had gotten to know, he lived blocks away for years, I never knew. There are some big aqua culture outfits out in the rural county, here. Sorry to be off topic. On that note, i wonder if i messed mine up by putting directly to use, instead of soaking, one hour, like the package said?

I had a "bar" about 8 inches long, the output was meager, i now use a standard (2 of them ) like an inch long, in my 30. Output is better.
That is a shame you never got a chance to know him. I’d love to find people like that around me. It’s a farming community here so focus is on crops and livestock. Any ponds are stock ponds with natives for fishing.

I have noticed soaking makes a big difference. I soak overnight and they work great right away.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oh my goodness!

Quote from article
“Splash-less bleach is not simply splash-less because the spout may be shaped differently, the manufacturer has added a soap/sudsing agent to change the viscosity of the liquid bleach, making it easier to pour.”

No wonder it is bubbling!

I feel pretty dumb now. It said regular under the splashless so I figured it was fine. I’ll be sure not to make this mistake again!

Thank you so much for that!

Reactions: deeda and Dloks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store