Dilemma

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
In one of my tanks I got a Jack Dempsey and a Red Devil. First I had a Jack Dempsey alone in there, then I introduced a Red Devil into the tank, Jack Dempsey was the dominant one as he was there first and was larger in size. Then I got that Butti from the store (still remember him?), he was the largest one and came in and whooped everyone’s ass. Jack Dempsey was scared of the Butti and was hiding most of the time, Devil did the same for some time but then started swimming out and attacking the Butti.

When I removed the Butti few weeks later, well by then since Jack Dempsey was so stressed out he did not grow one bit and by now Red Devil outgrew the Jack Dempsey and now Devil is chasing JD.

Thing is, it has been two weeks since I removed the Butti but my Jack Dempsey still did not eat! At first I thought fine, let him starve.. he will give in and start eating. Second week, nothing.

Any idea what should I do?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
yeah, without a divider or a tank transfer, that JD is going to wind up continuously miserable, or dead.

you can
1) move one fish out of the tank
2) divider
3) get a 180-240g

i had a female JD go for a month without food. hunger isn't going to be what wrecks your JD though.

Devils are a much larger fish and consequently have a much faster growth rate than JDs anyway, your butti being in the tank meant nothing; this situation was going to happen regardless.

Kutty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Somewhere in S'pore
You shouldn't have put the RD and buttikoferi in there in the first place. Jack Dempseys are overrated for their aggressive. They're really wimps. Yeah, I'd separate the RD and the JD. Then add some salt (uniodized) to the JD's size of the tank.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
For the newer guys who did not hear the story with that Buttikoferi of mine, it was saved from a store and was in no way planned to be kept in my tanks. I just threw it in whichever tank I had room in, and was giving it away for free to whoever wanted to come and pick it up.

As far as a Red Devil and Jack Dempseys in the same tank go, I do not think Jack Dempseys are all that aggressive and was not going to keep the RD and JD in there forever. The plan was to get a LARGER Jack Dempsey so he can manage to survive with the Red Devil until they will outgrow their 55 gallon, at which point the Red Devil is going to be moved to a larger tank and JD will be moved to another 55 with bunch of Severums.

But because of the whole Buttikoferi thing who was in the tank for some time, the Red Devil managed to outgrow the JD.. and now I am having a minor problem here. I do not really want to get a divider and just might go ahead and sell the JD.

... oh and adding salt is useless/pointless in this situation.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
i don't think you'll get more than 3 bucks for the JD, if you can find a lfs that will even take it... gl.

i intentionally rid myself of a 6" female JD and 7" female crabro last weekend by sticking them in with some meanassed scolofi that reside in a 55g... couldnt find a lfs that would take em. my scolofi are mean ****ers, i didn't even have to wait an hour for them to utterly trash both fish.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
piranha45 said:
i don't think you'll get more than 3 bucks for the JD, if you can find a lfs that will even take it... gl.

i intentionally rid myself of a 6" female JD and 7" female crabro last weekend by sticking them in with some meanassed scolofi that reside in a 55g... couldnt find a lfs that would take em. my scolofi are mean ****ers, i didn't even have to wait an hour for them to utterly trash both fish.
People around here know me, I get some good deals. I bring in my Convict fry and get .50 cents for each one. I have my ways... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store