Dirty tank after camping

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
So I just got home from camping for a week and my tank looks like this D6518403-29EF-46FC-BED2-314A0620384B.jpeg
I’ve done a half decent job at getting all the algae off the glass I left a little bit because one my my cichlids likes to eat it off the glass sometimes but right now the tank is a bit over half full from water changes and there’s a bunch small algae clumps and particles in the water. Is there any way to fix this? Do I just do continuous water changes until it’s all gone? Do I try to use a net to scoop larger particles out? image.jpgimage.jpg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
You need to get a larger tank.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You need to get a larger tank.
What he said.

In the meantime, during a water change follow particles with the siphon to get as much put as possible (or net it out). You’ll never get it all.
The issue is the overstocked tank. They are going to continue to push nitrates and phosphates through the roof, which algae thrives off of. The solution to the algae is reducing stocking.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
What he said.

In the meantime, during a water change follow particles with the siphon to get as much put as possible (or net it out). You’ll never get it all.
The issue is the overstocked tank. They are going to continue to push nitrates and phosphates through the roof, which algae thrives off of. The solution to the algae is reducing stocking.
Before I went camping I started doing more frequent water changes I’ve been doing one every other day to try to reduce the nitrates and it was working really good but then we went camping and it’s all over the place again. And with reducing stock I’ve really been trying. If anyone is interested in any of my fish let me know and we can talk about it and I’d much rather give them to someone on here than to a pet store because the pet stores just sell them unknowingly of the customers set up.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Typically a week shouldn’t mess up a tank like this.
Are all the fish okay? Anyone unaccounted for? It’s possible there was some kind of a fight/murder to do that. Who took care of your fish while you were gone? They may have over fed.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I think its the fact that the tank is so overstocked any laziness that you have will affect the tank (Not saying you're lazy just saying skipping a wc will affect u heavily) I mean 1 week without a water change should not be this bad. The top picture the aro looks so stressed out. You going without either a bigger tank or literally everyday water changes is the issue. You NEED to get rid of the fish. give them to your LFS please. Or atleast get a bigger tank with good filtration. It will help you and your fish.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I think its the fact that the tank is so overstocked any laziness that you have will affect the tank (Not saying you're lazy just saying skipping a wc will affect u heavily) I mean 1 week without a water change should not be this bad. The top picture the aro looks so stressed out. You going without either a bigger tank or literally everyday water changes is the issue. You NEED to get rid of the fish. give them to your LFS please. Or atleast get a bigger tank with good filtration. It will help you and your fish.
I’ll call a fish store and ask if they can buy fish or tads for store credit

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Typically a week shouldn’t mess up a tank like this.
Are all the fish okay? Anyone unaccounted for? It’s possible there was some kind of a fight/murder to do that. Who took care of your fish while you were gone? They may have over fed.
I think its because of the fish. I mean the aro looks like 1/3 of the tank size. Theres so much waste this would not be common in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store