Discovering the Filament Barbs

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The whole Dawkinsia species is a damn headache! There are loads of them, and to me they're just a hodge podge of one fish with very slight differences. I agree with Fishman Dave Fishman Dave that those in the picture could be D. rohani, but in truth they're probably not filaments or rohani, lol.

If you start to delve into the Dawkinsia species on line you'll soon see the problem, and this goes for a lot of similar species. There are various pictures of fish, at varying stages of development, different camera angles, variances in light, what mood are the fish in at the time of the photo? Loads of variables. And then they'll also throw some artist type drawings into the mix as well, and, on occasion even obvious photo shopped pictures of fish that have unbelievable colouration on them, maybe from sites that are selling these fish to make them look more attractive.

It all makes it extremely difficult to get a positive ID on some of these very closely, and similar looking species.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thanks to Milingu, Dave, and esox. Considering what esox said, although guesswork is possible, I guess I'll never know just what that giant barb was, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store