Discus/Angel "Forest." Hypothetical scenario

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Hi again, another hypothetical setup, just for learning. This time, it's a forest for discus or angelfish. Here's my thoughts:
180 gallon aquarium, with three distinct zones: forest, stump, and tangle.

Forest: Planted primarily with very large vallisneria and sagittaria species. It would be very dense, but still allow the discus or angelfish to weave in and out of the foliage. This would be about 2 feet of the tank. The plants would take in a lot of the nutrients that discus do produce. Substrate would be enriched here.
Stump: A very bare area, with something similar to a large, or a few sort of large "stumps" of wood surrounded by leaves. The "stumps" would function as breeding areas should the fish decide to breed. Leaves would provide plenty of microorganisms. Leaves used would be an array of beech(majority), oak(used for pH and tannins), indian almond (antibacterial functions), and banana leaves(antifungal functions). The habitat for the apistos
Tangle: A large mess of driftwood, which would look chaotic, but would still allow the fish to weave in and out, kind of like mangrove roots.

Stocking: discus or angels, rummynose tetras, Cardinal tetras, Agassizi's apistos, Bristlenose plecos, and Sterba's corydoras.
Discus/angels: Maybe 8 of these fish? The water would be stained with tannins, so probably Wild-type royal blue discus (Symphysodon aquefasciatus), or Altum angelfish (Pterophyllum altum). Note* 8 of either fish, not both fish.
Rummynose tetras: 25. The canaries of the tank, their dimming noses would signal changes in water quality that would help preserve the larger cichlids. Hemigrammus rhodostomus, there should be enough space in the tank, and enough fish, to allow for only the sickly/weak fish to be picked off should the discus/angelfish decide they were hungry.
Cardinals: go with discus, don't ask me why. I just think they should go together, so a school of 25 would be nice looking. Paracheirodon axelrodi, same as the rummynose tetras.
Sterba's corydoras: 15 of these guys, to eat anything the other fish miss out on, as well as to provide a token bottom fish. Besides, they look nice, can withstand warm temperatures, and will keep the substrate from going too anaerobic.
Agassizi's Apisto: A small harem (1M:3F) to inhabit the leaf litter. They're capable of withstanding the high-ish temperatures discus/angels require, and look stunning.
Bristlenose plecos: The algae eating crew of the tank, they would keep the tank clean. You'd probably not notice these guys, since they would stay in the safety of the tangle, but they'd slowly be working at eating all the algae in the tank, and maybe munching on the leaves. 4-5 would work.

Substrate: 1-3 inches of river sand. 1 inch of sand in the middle section, where 2 inches of leaves would cover the rest, 2 inches of sandwhere there would be no cover in the tangle, and 3 where there would be plants.
Filtration: A sump, whos overflow would lie in the tangle, and the return would cover the plant section, allowing for "waves" to occur in the forest. It would also lead to a protein skimmer, whose dual wet-dry function, and protein removing capabilities, would help the fish stay healthy. Along with this, would be an entire section devoted to hydroponic plants (Philodendron, etc.), which would help filter the water, similar to how some people filter their monster aquariums.
Other: Laminar flow would be nice, and provided by a few weak powerheads, again in the planted section, allowing for water flow to occur in the aquarium.

So...thoughts?

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
sounds nice. I would worry about the vallisneria sorta gunking things up. I found when I had a lot of val in my planted tanks it lose bits every now and then and it would look crappy and clog up intakes etc. could be a big nitrate factory for the detritus that gets stuck around it. that said I think it would work fine as long as you have good maintenance. personally for the tetras I would stick with just the rummy nose, only for their tendency to shoal better from my experience. I would just double the number to 50, that would be quite a sight. if you were to do this tank it would no doubt be kinda pricey but it would be really nice if its done right. I don't know if i'd use a protein skimmer, someone else probably has the details, but I think I've heard that they aren't very effective with fresh water setups. something chemistry related that I cant recall. definitely enough space for the stock you are thinking

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
sounds like a well thought out setup. I second the val making a mess. I really like the plant, but they do make a mess when they break off.

Protein skimmers don't really do much for saltwater. I would look into a denitrator reactor. I am in the process of building one for my planted 75.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Love the idea and would love to see pics. Please share when you're finished with the build. Very well thought out scape.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I have a 180 as well with Angels mixed with pikes. Hardscape is a large tangle of malaysian wood that isn't as branch but resembles a decaying root/stump structure. Very similar livestock ideas but I have crenicichla which precludes the ability to add tetras.

20150706_202141.jpg

20150706_202151.jpg

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Rob, as I said, it's a hypothetical setup for learning rather than doing. I'm headed off for college this fall, so any big projects would have to wait 4+ years. Although...it does give me something to work for, right? On a side note, are those Geophagus in your tank? Also, which Vallisneria species are you using?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
It's a lone satanoperca lillith. The Val is giant val. Best of luck in college.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store