Discus attacking Corys?

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
I have an old 75 gallon tank with six discus, four M. ramirezi, two Apistogramma agasizzii, four Corydoras sterbai and a mystery Ancistrus. It’s a planted tank with some big driftwood and some rock caves. The Corys were not out and about much for a while, and recently they started swimming around openly again, nerding out...you know how they do. But suddenly the discus, at least three of six, chase them away and bite at them when they come out. Weirdest dang thing I ever saw, nobody minded the corys at all prior to this week but I have seen this a few times in the last few days. What the heck is going on, any thoughts?

Couple of pics for your trouble.
AF9FDA5C-1112-4281-9E16-42748787079A.jpeg 6439207C-DA05-4CF0-879D-860224828C47.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have an old 75 gallon tank with six discus, four M. ramirezi, two Apistogramma agasizzii, four Corydoras sterbai and a mystery Ancistrus. It’s a planted tank with some big driftwood and some rock caves. The Corys were not out and about much for a while, and recently they started swimming around openly again, nerding out...you know how they do. But suddenly the discus, at least three of six, chase them away and bite at them when they come out. Weirdest dang thing I ever saw, nobody minded the corys at all prior to this week but I have seen this a few times in the last few days. What the heck is going on, any thoughts?

Couple of pics for your trouble.
View attachment 1290489 View attachment 1290490

I've had the same experience with other Cichlids and Corys. Recently Cichlid going after my Clown Loaches. As we all know when anything involves a Cichlid things can change when you least expect it. The last thing I have read is Cichlids may feel other fish may be competing them for food. Tbh don't know what is going on with your Discus.

Reactions: Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
Right after I posted this thread I figured it out. The Corys are spawning all over the place and the discus are so eager to munch the eggs they started nipping at and near the Corys themselves, I swear one was trying to nip at the female’s ovipositor. Just being piggy little discus, as usual.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Right after I posted this thread I figured it out. The Corys are spawning all over the place and the discus are so eager to munch the eggs they started nipping at and near the Corys themselves, I swear one was trying to nip at the female’s ovipositor. Just being piggy little discus, as usual.

I'm happy to hear you figured out what was going on.

Reactions: Jeremy Anderson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store