Oct 13, 2017
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
o
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, im helping someone who recived a neglected tank a few mounths ago
its a 350 l tank with one discus 2 asian bees, 2 plecos and 2 puntius.
the discus started to develop greys black patches on his skin mainy around his mouth
and a bit on his back. its a bit hard to see but heres a pic

What do you think this is? the water quality wasent so great lately due to lack of WC but iil get on that now, did a 40% yesterday and will do 25% every week now. , nitrates was 40 befor the last wc
In addition i would appreciate any tips on keeping discus, i know ph and hardness are a deal with them. thank you!

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Not clear what's the issue. The black patches might be what's called peppering in the discus world, if the slime coat seems normal and not peeling off, and the fish has erect fins then I wouldn't worry about it. Discus can change their colors by a huge factor to blend in with their surroundings, so that might be it. The most important thing with discus is consistently clean water, so you'll need to do a lot of water changes to keep them healthy. You wouldn't want your nitrates above 10ppm. For temperature I wouldn't go below 28C and not above 31C. Age your new water (before doing a waterchange) in a barrel if you can, if not just make sure the temperature is close enough. For feeding I recommend a really high quality name brand food, or (what worked well with me) make your own diy mix, mine never took well to commercial foods. I wouldn't worry much about pH and hardness unless you have a really high mineral content, consistency is more important that chasing a certain value. The last thing is you don't want to introduce many tankmates with discus, anything faster than them can out-compete them for food and/or stress them out. Just my experience keeping them and good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store