Isaiah75

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2019
Michigan
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello all,
I’ve got a discus that I can’t get to eat and has had white/mucus like feces. It’s been a few days since I’ve seen it eat anything. And I need any and all help/input for me to try so I don’t lose this fish. Here’s what I’ve got…
I’ve got a 75 gallon aquarium.
I’ve stocked it w
7 small/medium sized Discus
4 medium sized Roseline Sharks
3 small plecos.
I do weekly 30%-40% water changes.
I don’t know the water perimeters atm but can get them later today.
I’ve tried dosing w Metroplex, Focus and Garlic Guard in the food but still won’t eat. So I’ve been dosing the tank w the metroplex in the mean time in hopes it’d help.
I recently read something about the “Shallow Bath Method” w the Metroplex but I’m not sure if I want to put my fish through that stress.
Does anyone have any sort or suggestions or advice that could help me?
Thank you all in advance.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
How long have you had the Discus in this setup? If you can post a picture of your tank then that would help. But even with the information you posted, I can tell you that your size & frequency water changes are insufficient for the size Discus you are keeping even if they were in an optimum setup, ex/ recommended to do daily 50% wc or else after a period of time the Discus will get sick.

Hopefully someone else will post more suggestions that can help. Another good resource I can recommend is www.simplydiscus.com forums since many there specialize in Discus and can quickly pinpoint suggestions to help your situation.

Isaiah75

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2019
Michigan
I’ve had this set up for several weeks now and I’ve kept the same routine throughout. All of the other fish in the tank seem to be thriving and acting like your typical cichlid.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d separate/quarantine the fish and try api General cure or fritz metro cleanse dosed to the tank. If it gets an appetite then feed metronidazole with food. Not sure if possible but if no appetite then consider injecting metroplex via a thin pipette into the fish’s stomach. Not sure if it can be done. That’s my suggestion.

Isaiah75

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2019
Michigan
I’ve got the fish separated into a 20 gallon long w there’s a couple 1-1/2” plecos in there w it. I’ve dosed metro cleanse and Prazipro just to be safe. It’s only been two days since I’ve had it in this set up but I don’t see any sign of change. Is there anyone else that can provide any advice to help get it to eat again? This fish is very sentimental to my wife and I’m willing to try anything to bring it back to full health.

Isaiah75

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2019
Michigan
The water temp is 77, which I know is on the cooler side (I’m waiting for a better/adjustable heater to arrive). The water perimeters are good. Ammonia and Nitrite are at 0ppm. Nitrate is between 0 and 10ppm.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Hello all,
I’ve got a discus that I can’t get to eat and has had white/mucus like feces. It’s been a few days since I’ve seen it eat anything. And I need any and all help/input for me to try so I don’t lose this fish. Here’s what I’ve got…
I’ve got a 75 gallon aquarium.
I’ve stocked it w
7 small/medium sized Discus
4 medium sized Roseline Sharks
3 small plecos.
I do weekly 30%-40% water changes.
I don’t know the water perimeters atm but can get them later today.
I’ve tried dosing w Metroplex, Focus and Garlic Guard in the food but still won’t eat. So I’ve been dosing the tank w the metroplex in the mean time in hopes it’d help.
I recently read something about the “Shallow Bath Method” w the Metroplex but I’m not sure if I want to put my fish through that stress.
Does anyone have any sort or suggestions or advice that could help me?
Thank you all in advance.
Discus are super sensitive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store