lilyann’s Journal: Congo Riverine Biotope Build

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
This will be a year-long project, and will take a lot of study and preparation before the actual tank goes up-- that will be the easy part.
So, being a long term project, I thought I would keep a journal of the progression up to the build: sources consulted for accuracy of biotope, frustrations, questions, --hopefully, no roadblocks.

This is the goal:
75 gallon tank for my Congo River Tetras
12 phenocogrammus aurentiuus
8 ( this will be 12) hemigrammopetersius pulcher
3 ( this will be 12) alestopetersius nigroptersius

This is all I know-- very little.

More to come.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
This will be a year-long project, and will take a lot of study and preparation before the actual tank goes up-- that will be the easy part.
So, being a long term project, I thought I would keep a journal of the progression up to the build: sources consulted for accuracy of biotope, frustrations, questions, --hopefully, no roadblocks.

This is the goal:
75 gallon tank for my Congo River Tetras
12 phenocogrammus aurentiuus
8 ( this will be 12) hemigrammopetersius pulcher
3 ( this will be 12) alestopetersius nigroptersius

This is all I know-- very little.

More to come.
Sounds great, I look forward to seeing it.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Will you be adding any bottom dwellers?

What kind of setup are you thinking for the mentioned fish?
Flowing river
Faster flowing stream
Flooded forest

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Yes, will be adding bottomdwellers, but need to explore what is endemic to where these Tetras hail from . I don’t want anything too large. Also, would prefer a “schooling” bottomdweler. Need to do some research.

Reactions: tlindsey

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I have not been able to put time into this because of grad school- buried in books. But, I have had enough time to order more African tetras :/ ...and add them to my 180 gallon.
So now, the group of African tetras that will go into this tank are:
8 alestopetersius brichardi "Red" ( my latest group-- these are amazing).
8 alestopetersius cf. nigropetersus "Orange Flash"
10 phenocogrammus aurentiuus
8 Hemigrammopetersius pulcher

The tank will take some negotiation with the husband. With a 180, a 60 gallon and two 30 gallons in the house, mentioning that I am planning to put up a 75 will create some momentary tension. :angryfire

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I have not been able to put time into this because of grad school- buried in books. But, I have had enough time to order more African tetras :/ ...and add them to my 180 gallon.
So now, the group of African tetras that will go into this tank are:
8 alestopetersius brichardi "Red" ( my latest group-- these are amazing).
8 alestopetersius cf. nigropetersus "Orange Flash"
10 phenocogrammus aurentiuus
8 Hemigrammopetersius pulcher

The tank will take some negotiation with the husband. With a 180, a 60 gallon and two 30 gallons in the house, mentioning that I am planning to put up a 75 will create some momentary tension. :angryfire
I wish my wife wanted more tanks.

Stock sounds lovely Amy. I'm looking forward to seeing it all complete

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Was looking for some information on "Sumatran wood" for this tank- hadn't seen it listed on any aquascaping vendors lists that I have seen... and came across an article that describes it as:
"This driftwood is actually pieces of cut mangrove root. Pieces vary in size between around 25cm to 150cm for very large tanks. It is often used by aquascaping fans as a central piece of hardscape. Like redmoor wood it doesn’t seem to release tannins but occasionally is subject to fungal growth. It also sometimes requires a thorough soaking before it will sink. This process may take a week or so.The distributor claims that it is harvested in an ethical manner from dead trees in the Far East before being sandblasted and cut to shape. Sandblasting gives it a very smooth texture."

Not a lot of information- but does give a little more than other sites.
Anyways: Here is the link- it gives some information of various woods we use in aquarium and areas they come from.

http://injaf.org/articles-guides/general-guides/guide-to-aquarium-wood/

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store