Disinfecting a tank??

SouthCentral

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Canada
Hey all,

I just had a trojan fish come into a tank and now have had all three fish in that tank die. He seemed healthy for over a week so I tossed him in with others. They ended up with Ich, mouth fungus, eye cloud, body slime...the list goes on and on. Water parameters were fine. I think that stress caused the onset of disease.

Anyway, now I am sucking out all of the water and throwing away the gravel (I was thinking of a more natural color anyway...it was blue) and am wondering what to do to make sure that I kill off whatever is in the tank and filters...will probably buy all new media and cycle the tank (with or without fish, not sure yet).

Would a high salt conc. (2% or more) and a pile of pond strength melafix kill off whatever may still be in there?

SouthCentral

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Canada
What concentration would a person use and how many "rinses" would you do afterwards to remove the bleach. Would "Aqua Plus" (chlorine remover) help remove trace amounts of bleach afterwards?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Leave the tank full. Most parasites will die off after 1-4 weeks on their own. If you want your tank up sooner, just dump bleach in, and leave the filters running. That will disinfect the tank, and then just leave it running for a few days, and dose with a double shot of prime. Add cycling method, and your ready to go.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
19 parts water to 1 part bleach then rinse rinse rinse till the chlorine smell is gone add water treatment to take care of any residual.Or do the above and wipe the inside of the tank down with rubbing alcohol-Anne

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store