Dither fish for Juvenile rbps aggression?

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Piranhas aren’t exactly the crazed, fast moving fish they are made out to be.
The tiger barbs should be good until they are small enough to be food, which should be within 1-2 months based on piranha growth rate. It’s completely normal for them to beat each other up, that isn’t something that will ever go away. Most important is remembering to keep the aggression in check by keeping them well fed.
Thanks, I noticed tho that they still chase each other even with the barbs in there. So I guess it’s really their nature. ill prolly take out the barbs if things are the same to give more space as they’re growing. We‘ll see..

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How many are there and how big is the tank? That would really factor into behavior.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
How many are there and how big is the tank? That would really factor into behavior.
5x 2-2.5”rbps in a 40g grow out tank then getting a bigger tank by summer.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Should be fine, 5 is a good number to spread aggression. 125 is probably a good minimum tank size.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Should be fine, 5 is a good number to spread aggression. 125 is probably a good minimum tank size.
yeah getting 125 if I still have 5 after a few months, it’s weird tho one of them is untouched but it’s not the bully. It’s not the biggest but nobody seems to mess with him

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
this is my 2nd tank all my life and initially I wanted a red wolf fish but I read a lot about how they are stagnant and just move once in awhile so that turned me away. Then I wanted exodons, i was gonna get them but the store only had 10 I wanted a large school.. wasnt patient enough wait so I drove to aquascspeonline and got rbps. I didn’t expect that aggression that I read about them is more than I expected which is catching me off guard. so I kinda regret it but I’m not the type to give up their pets, and never have so I’ll just sit tight and buckle up lol. Thanks for the advices u guys help me a lot. Update: added tiger barbs to hopefully distract them and let them heal their finsView attachment 1450381
watch water quality - lots of fish for a 40g

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store