DIY 3D Styrofoam Aquarium Background with DIY Roots - US Native Stream Tank

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
I wound up collecting more fish from a local stream about 40 minutes from my house for my FW stream tank this past weekend. This small stream has been one of my favorite smallmouth bass fishing spots over the years. It has a wide diversity of fish species, as much as any stream in the Western part of Maryland.

There are a couple species that I still want, but, for the most part, it's fully stocked now. I also found a beautiful red rock that I just had to put into the tank. I'm trying to find at least one rock to add to the tank from each fish collecting site. This tank is a Potomac River biotope tank, minus major predators.

The species below are currently in this tank:

Darters:
Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)
Fantail Darter (Etheostoma flabellare)
Greenside Darter (Etheostoma blennioides)

Minnows, Shiners and Dace:
Eastern Blacknosed Dace (Rhinichthys atratulus)
Spottail Shiner (Notropis hudsonius))
Silverjaw Minnow (Notropis buccatus)
Longnose Dace (Rhinichthys cataractae)
River Chub (Nocomis micropogon)

Here's a short video of the tank and the new critters:

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Since the DIY portion of this project has been completed, I'll post further updates in the native fish section of the forum. ;)

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
That turned out great! Which specific Polygem clear coat did you use? I'm looking at ordering some for my current project but not sure if I need the 1618 or the 1319.

Reactions: Chasmodes

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
That turned out great! Which specific Polygem clear coat did you use? I'm looking at ordering some for my current project but not sure if I need the 1618 or the 1319.
Thank you MRE! I used the 1319. Dave from the Polygem company helped me out when I called with questions. He's a great guy. He recommended the 1618 because it cures faster, but I had already purchased the 1319. I had no problems at all with curing and wasn't in a hurry. But, if you have questions about anything from the product to applications, he was very helpful.

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
That is bloody amazing, you shure are a clever man.Ray.
Thank you so much Ray. A few people in the hobby paved the way long before I did, like The Deeb, HX67 from this forum and a guy from another forum (Steve) and many others. I always over research and that habit with procrastination caused me to take way to long to get this project finished. All I did was take what I learned from them and tried to make my ideas work. HX67 helped me with questions about the roots, but his rock work was pretty amazing too. And the Deeb's work really inspired me...so realistic.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store