DIY acrylic Tank

BlueYellowFish

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2018
Hello Monsterfishkeepers
This is my first post on this site, i have been lurking for a few years without an account.

I am in search of some advice regarding building an acrylic tank to fit a stand I made a few years ago. The stand was built to hold a 300DD tank, However, I have decided to build a tank to fit that stand rather than purchasing the 300DD. I really do like glass but...due to availability in my area and due to weight I have been leaning towards acrylic.

So far... I have some plans roughly drawn out...nothing is set in stone. I would like the overall tank size to be 72" x 36"x Height (want to get as close to 300 gallons as possible).

The thickness of the tank would effect the height of the tank and the amount of bracing i would want to use.

My first draft... I considered 1" thick acrylic. I would want the tank to be 72" x 36 x 30" and would want to use corner flows if possible. The overall gallons would be ~309 gallons, However, the price of 1" thick acrylic is pretty costly and I am unsure how much bracing to use on the top of the tank.

Monsterfishkeepers, I am in need of some advice, what would your suggestions be?

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
You could get by with 3/4" acrylic if a little bowing will not bother you. My opinion, 3/4" looks fine at 30" height, but 1" is the better choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store