DIY canister filters

EPGeiger310

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2018
Bristol, Connecticut
hello all,
So I recently obtained a 125 gal tank and stand. This is a significant upgrade from my 55 gal and am interested in building many of the extras myself. I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on filtration. I’ve seen a lot of the diy canister builds and would like some opinions on if they can be successful or not. I’ve never owned a tank this big so apologies if I’m coming if as uninformed. Thanks for the help in advance.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Honestly, I would just get two SunSun 304B’s and put them on it. They are less than $100 each and hold a lot of media. If you want to spend a little more for better quality, then you can go with FX6’s or Eheim 2262’s instead. I wouldn’t bother trying to build your own canister.

Now, if you’re interested in building a sump, that’s a different story. I highly recommend you explore the option of drilling the tank (not nearly as bad as it sounds) and using a 55 for a sump. Definitely a way better method of filtration, in my opinion, and will be far easier to maintain. It will probably cost you less to build than the two canister option too.

EPGeiger310

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2018
Bristol, Connecticut
Honestly, I would just get two SunSun 304B’s and put them on it. They are less than $100 each and hold a lot of media. If you want to spend a little more for better quality, then you can go with FX6’s or Eheim 2262’s instead. I wouldn’t bother trying to build your own canister.

Now, if you’re interested in building a sump, that’s a different story. I highly recommend you explore the option of drilling the tank (not nearly as bad as it sounds) and using a 55 for a sump. Definitely a way better method of filtration, in my opinion, and will be far easier to maintain. It will probably cost you less to build than the two canister option too.
I looked into the fx4’s and 6’s, if I went with those would I run 2 or just the one?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I looked into the fx4’s and 6’s, if I went with those would I run 2 or just the one?
I would say three FX4’s or two FX6’s. If your stocking is light, then you will probably be ok with one less. However, I recommend you go ahead and get it going with the two FX6’s or three FX4’s, but that might just be me. Hopefully someone else can chime in and agree or disagree with me to help you decide.

I still suggest looking at sumps.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I run a FX4 and 2 AC110'S, the ACs do the brunt of mech work. Planning on a second FX4, just keep spending the money on other things....
The tank is a 125 with an Oscar and a Ornatus catfish. I do fin level, gravel vac water changes every other day.
At 1 month then again at 4 months I opened the FX4 and there was virtually nothing in it's sponges. Where as the AC110'S sponges have to be cleaned every week.

krull

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2018
King of DIY has heaps of DIY filters...
good to watch.

EPGeiger310

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2018
Bristol, Connecticut
Yea that’s one of the videos I saw, I’d be curious so see how they fare for those who have made them. Also for those who run multiple canisters, how do you set up your intake/out take flows. I’ve been using the photo I’m posting but that’s only from top view.

ADCDF99F-9629-4C97-A8BF-A32ACCA7E957.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store