diy filter question

tysonp

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2013
illinois
Hello everyone. I am new to MFK, but not so new to fish keeping. I am however building a 1200 gallon koi pond, and have a question about filtration. I have seen a good way to build a diffuser for spillway using pvc. My question is can I load the 1.5 ft long pvc pipe with filter pad, and use it as my ponds filter?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I have a decent sized pond currently, around 20 feet long by 10 feet wide and 6 feet deep. I just used a 55 gallon trash can and STUFFED it with filter material and its working great. Its powered by a 3200gph pump and a 1200 gallon pump and has 3 inch outlet and two 1.75 outlets next to it with a soda holder to disperse the water as a bakki shower filter. I also used a shopping basket to right above the outlet at the bottom so it wont get clogged. Its just enough to keep the water clean and in good condition. I also have a uv light attached to the 1200gph pump.

Heres a picture. PS dont buy that bs filter media at the local pond stores. Go to homedepot or lowes and get some swamp cooler media. (its blue padding) it works 100 times better and it will be much easier to clean as large/small objects wont get suck in it. 30 bucks at lowes will be about 200 bucks of filter media at the local pond supply store. As my local pond store sells a foot for 7 bucks!!!!

DABXBOY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
I have a decent sized pond currently, around 20 feet long by 10 feet wide and 6 feet deep. I just used a 55 gallon trash can and STUFFED it with filter material and its working great. Its powered by a 3200gph pump and a 1200 gallon pump and has 3 inch outlet and two 1.75 outlets next to it with a soda holder to disperse the water as a bakki shower filter. I also used a shopping basket to right above the outlet at the bottom so it wont get clogged. Its just enough to keep the water clean and in good condition. I also have a uv light attached to the 1200gph pump.

Heres a picture. PS dont buy that bs filter media at the local pond stores. Go to homedepot or lowes and get some swamp cooler media. (its blue padding) it works 100 times better and it will be much easier to clean as large/small objects wont get suck in it. 30 bucks at lowes will be about 200 bucks of filter media at the local pond supply store. As my local pond store sells a foot for 7 bucks!!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR SETUP IF YOU STILL HAVE IT

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store