DIY filter

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I absolutely agree with Oughtsix Oughtsix personally would either do what was stated about the 5 gallon bucket or replace bucket with rubbermaid tote.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
If I try that, should I upsize the siphon line or will 1" be ok
Optimal configuration would be to drill the main tank for an overflow and have a couple of lines feed the sump. Many people start with a siphone overflow (me included) and eventually end up with a drilled overflow when they build up the confidence to drill their tank. Whether drilled or siphoned think two supply pipes/hoses. The diameter of the hoses will depend on the flow of the return pump... it all gets a little overwhelming when you have never done a sump before.... but after you have done a sump you realize all those flow calculations you were worried about don't really make a whole lot of difference in the real world.

For my 35g tank with a Jeboa 1450 gph pump (DCP-5000) I use a single 1" pipe with a drilled overflow and have not had any issues with not having enough flow through the overflow line.

Last edited:

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I will have that someday as well...when I do my 400 gallon I want.

Jebao dct-6000 is the pump I am gonna use, I plan on using 1" pipe and 2 showerheads on opposite side to move water towards filter. 1" should be big enough right?
What is a shower head? Most holes smaller than 1/16 or 3/32 will jam up with crud.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If you really want to make an efficient filter, I recommend looking into getting a cheap 55 gal tank to use as a sump and then drilling the 125 for overflows. I drilled my 220 and could be happier with how it came out. It takes longer to setup, but makes for much easier maintenance from then on.

If you really don’t want to use a sump, then you can go with two SunSun 304B filters, and then add a third later, if needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store