DIY Lid, glass prep help needed

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Hey all, I'm in the process of building an all glass lid for my JBJ RL 30. I currently have the glass sitting on top of the tank with some rubber adhesive window insulation as a barrier between the tank and lid. It's regular old single pane glass from Lowe's cut to 24x16. It works pretty well as is honestly but I wanted to give it more support and make it look just a little nicer.

My idea was to brace the top using 2 - 24" x 2" strips of across the front and back, and 2 - 12" x 2" strips on the sides creating a glass border on top. I am considering frosting/etching the border glass to give it a different texture and appearance but I may leave it clear also, depending on how it looks. I'll be adding clear plastic border pieces to protect the edges when it's all done as well.

The problem I need help with is prepping the glass strips, I had them cut at home depot and the guy made a valiant effort and did OK but there's tons of ridges and waves in the cuts. I spent 2 hours this past weekend trying to sand them (mostly with a dremel diamond tip bit) and got the shorter ones to look pretty good but the longer pieces started chipping heavily. I was stopping every 10 seconds or so to squirt water on it and dropped the rotation speed but they just don't look as good as I'd like.

Does anyone have advice on how to smooth out the chips on the cut ends? I don't feel like the sand paper I was using (not sure what to buy, I got a sanding foam block to use and had some paper from awhile back laying around) had much effect and I don't trust going at it with the dremel again.

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Yep, I have the lid mostly done, I compromised a bit with finishing the edges since I just don't want to spend any more money on it but I have it assembled and will be finishing it this weekend. I just have to put the clear edging on and frost the glass yet, even with the so-so glass cuts it looks pretty good! I'll post some pics when it's fully complete.

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
This didn't work out as planned, I'm not sure if the etching acid was old (it was, just not sure if that matters) or what but it turned out very uneven and difficult to work with. I'm going to be redoing this lid soon, same design but I'm going to do the etching differently. I'll update when I have some progress

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store