DIY : Overflow for drip system

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Looks pretty clean, but it seems odd that the inlet and outlet tees are on the same level.

I assume you prime it by submerging it in the tank?

I always put a little hose on the siphon, so I can suck out the air. Restoring a lost siphon is easy then.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Looks nice all black. Careful with this design, over time a bubble from dissolved oxygen forms in the highest part of the siphon tube (the clear line) and breaks siphon. I ended up putting a cheap aqualifter pump on mine to avoid it stopping. Works great with the addition of the aqualifter

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Looks nice all black. Careful with this design, over time a bubble from dissolved oxygen forms in the highest part of the siphon tube (the clear line) and breaks siphon. I ended up putting a cheap aqualifter pump on mine to avoid it stopping. Works great with the addition of the aqualifter
This is the downside of hang on overflows. Great point

Reactions: JK47

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
is there a thread of your setup?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I run a diy overflow for my drip system but use the 1/2” pvc style like this. It’s been running for a year now with no issues. It can even keep up with my tap so I don’t have to worry about overflowing my tank during water changes.
1DCF5C5E-CA3C-4447-91FC-C6C3476EA8C1.jpeg

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
you can add the old school trick of attaching the venturi line from a power head into the pipe to suck out air build up in the siphon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store