DIY overflow input needed

SourGworms

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2011
around
hey guys, finally decided to get back into the game with a 180, it's been a while since I had a tank and all my old tanks always came with built in overflows, this time however I jumped the gun and picked up a tank without overflows. I want to try and do the overflows myself and have a design in mind but I just needed some expert confirmation to see if it'll work or if it's a disaster waiting to happen. it's a 180 gallon glass tank, I have made sure the panels I am planning on drilling is not tempered but I'm still a little iffy about overflow design. I plan on doing an internal wier roughly 8"×5"×22" and am trying to set up either a bean animal style overflow or a herbie overflow. The pipe diameter I'm eyeballing right now are 1.5s for the drains and 1.25 for the returns, and it will all dump into a 40 gallon breeder which has will probably be running with a 1900 gallon pump. Am I headed in the right direction? or should I scrap the idea lol I've been trying to research it to the best of my abilities but would still prefer some experienced advise, thanks in advance

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Sounds about right. My 180 runs 2 standard durso at 1.5".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store