DIY sump for planted poly tank, need some advice

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
So I have a 125 (running about 2-3 inches shallow) that I want to sump with a 40B (have extras so why not)

How can I do this without drilling, I know HOB overflows are the first thing that comes to mind, but how can I eliminate the chances of a flood of the display tank OR the sump if there is a power outage (sump) or if I loose siphon (display)

Running the main tank with a lower water level I figure opens me up to a bit of wiggle room on the broken siphon but only 10-15 gallons worth (but that would create another issue with polys and their escape artist ways)

Are there ways to rig up of float valve to the sumps pump or some time of fail safe for the siphon?

Would I be better off trying to figure out a way to make a spray bar for the FX6 I am not using ATM ?

The tank is Heavily planted if that makes any difference whatsoever.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have a 125 (running about 2-3 inches shallow) that I want to sump with a 40B (have extras so why not)

How can I do this without drilling, I know HOB overflows are the first thing that comes to mind, but how can I eliminate the chances of a flood of the display tank OR the sump if there is a power outage (sump) or if I loose siphon (display)

Running the main tank with a lower water level I figure opens me up to a bit of wiggle room on the broken siphon but only 10-15 gallons worth (but that would create another issue with polys and their escape artist ways)

Are there ways to rig up of float valve to the sumps pump or some time of fail safe for the siphon?

Would I be better off trying to figure out a way to make a spray bar for the FX6 I am not using ATM ?

The tank is Heavily planted if that makes any difference whatsoever.

I have been using a HOB overflow box for years on a 180. I have drilled holes in the U tube return pipes took it even further by sliding that white section of pvc to lift them higher. When the power goes out it only fills my 40 gallon Rubbermaid tote about halfway. My return pipes look similar to this one.https://www.marinedepot.com/u-tube-...gzCoiXGdiz9J48TR5dgdtKBljLCr3pRoCRmAQAvD_BwE&

20200702_115754.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have been using a HOB overflow box for years on a 180. I have drilled holes in the U tube return pipes took it even further by sliding that white section of pvc to lift them higher. When the power goes out it only fills my 40 gallon Rubbermaid tote about halfway. My return pipes look similar to this one.https://www.marinedepot.com/u-tube-...gzCoiXGdiz9J48TR5dgdtKBljLCr3pRoCRmAQAvD_BwE&

View attachment 1423809
With the holes drilled through the U tube returns the siphon of draining the aquarium
will stop wants the water level of the aquarium lowered to the holes and the siphon will stop. Never had the sump flood over during power outages.

Reactions: Goonie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store