Do cichlids always pair up, or will a male breed will multiple females

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As said above, Herichthys mate in compatible pairs, but just because one has a male and female, doesn't mean they will be compatible.
Females will often batter other females in the tank, and spawning males will usually try killing all others.
My pair of Herichthys carpintus "Loc "Chairel" with a spawn
1617799951655.png
Below Herichthys tamasopoensus spawning.
1617800022462.png
In both cases above, I started out with 6 to 8 individuals of each species. and allowed them to select compatible partners from within the groups.
They they separated themselves from the group and attacked any others that came close. I would then remove all others, or divide the tank, if it was large enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

michaelyonis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2023
Keep in mind, "pairing" cichlids aren't "mate for life" type creatures.

They mate by instinct, not emotion. The males instinct says to make as many babies as possible. The females instinct says to mate with the "fittest" male possible.

Keep in mind, any number of details could alter situations...

Generally with pairing Cichlids... If one male and one female are together, they'll pair/mate. Although if the female can bully the male she may reject him. Or she may spawn with him then treat him as an enemy while protecting her brood.

If there is an established pair and a stronger male is introduced. The pair will usually defend their current eggs/brood as a pair. But once those offspring are gone, the female will seek the attention of the stronger male. Or will stay back and allow the males to establish who is stronger, then pair off with the winner.

If there is an established pair and another female is introduced. The pair will usually defend their current eggs/brood as a pair. But once those offspring are gone, the male will seek to pair off with whichever female is ready to spawn. Of will wait for whoever is ready next, then pair off with her.

If you are considering exploring a trio with typically pairing fish... Do keep in mind, when two of the fish pair off, the odd fish will be treated as an enemy while they are caring for eggs/offspring. And if the pair are able to kill the odd female, which they most likely will be able to easily do, they often will. Doing this safely would require a very large tank that allows the breeding pair to have a sizable territory and the odd female to be in a different territory with breaks in sight from the pair.

It would be much safer to give each female her own tank and bounce the male around to whoever is ready to spawn. That said, I'd also suggest the male having his own tank for when the females are with a brood or recovering from spawning or sparing. This can very quickly stop feeling like having a couple of fish and turn into work.
I have a question if you don’t mind. If I decided to do a group of six angelfish, and 6 electric blue acara, would they do better than just having a pair of each? I have heard both species are more shoaling in general, and want to make the best decision about their care. The tank will be an Aqueon 210g (72”x24”x29”) with other fish from my 90g grow out tank.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Six angelfish, and 6 electric blue acara? Are you talking about adults where you know and get to choose the gender of all, or random juveniles where you do not know the genders? There is no right or wrong answers to my question but the answer could be different based on what your response is.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have a question if you don’t mind. If I decided to do a group of six angelfish, and 6 electric blue acara, would they do better than just having a pair of each? I have heard both species are more shoaling in general, and want to make the best decision about their care. The tank will be an Aqueon 210g (72”x24”x29”) with other fish from my 90g grow out tank.
I think a group would be better. A 210 is enough space for a pair to form/the others to have space to get away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store