Do I have energetic fish or a possible parasite?

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
So I just brought my EBJD home from my lfs about a week ago. On the first day he/she seemed to fit in quite normal. The following day and ever since he/she has been swimming up and down and left to right on the back side of the tank. Pretty much non stop. He/she stops for a short time when my GT gets close but then when gt goes about his business my jd starts it back up again. There is no visible signs of diseases or infection. Although I have seen him/her itch on decor in the tank a couple times. My GT has also done this itching a couple times since the new fish has arrived. May this all be normal fish business or could it be a sign of an internal parasite?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Could be the signs of ich. I would get some ich medication and observe. How large is the ebjd and the other tank inhabitants?

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
Could be the signs of ich. I would get some ich medication and observe. How large is the ebjd and the other tank inhabitants?
The electric blue is about an 1.5".
I also have a -jade goby 3.5"
-green terror 3.5"
-spotted tiger botia 3"
-synodontis notatus 3"
-bristlenose pleco under 1"
-albino bristlenose pleco under 1"
I don't see any visible signs of ich an i spend tons of time watching my tank. Although, EBJD is itching just like if he/she would have it. I have read that they are hard to keep healthy at a young age. I do have black worms down in the gravel. All of my fish feed on them. It's about all my green terror will eat.

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
Has anyone else had fish act this way, swim up an down against the glass? I'm debating if I should pick up medicine and treat the tank. Unsure of what I would buy tho?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Has anyone else had fish act this way, swim up an down against the glass? I'm debating if I should pick up medicine and treat the tank. Unsure of what I would buy tho?
What size is the tank and how long have you had it up and running? What type of filters?

I would call around and see if anyone carries Seachem Paraguard.

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
It's a 55 gallon. It's been up and going for a month now. Ive done about 30% water changes twice a week since and I clean 1 of my 2 filters everytime rotating. Both of the filters are the hang the back kind. The one is pretty big it only says 'regent' on it, has 2 sides for the sponges and carbon. The other is much smaller and says aqua-tech 20-40 on it. I'm unsure if they are good enough or not? I bought the tank from a buddy with everything included

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
My lfs has tons of seachem products so I am going to pick that up today! Thank you. I am open to all advice as I want my fish to be as healthy and happy as possible

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It's a 55 gallon. It's been up and going for a month now. Ive done about 30% water changes twice a week since and I clean 1 of my 2 filters everytime rotating. Both of the filters are the hang the back kind. The one is pretty big it only says 'regent' on it, has 2 sides for the sponges and carbon. The other is much smaller and says aqua-tech 20-40 on it. I'm unsure if they are good enough or not? I bought the tank from a buddy with everything included
How do you clean the filters? Do you change the media regularly, and how often? Filter media should only be rinsed in tank water taken out during your water change.

You don't need carbon in the long run, only for removing medication, so remove the carbon before medicating.

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
How do you clean the filters? Do you change the media regularly, and how often? Filter media should only be rinsed in tank water taken out during your water change.

You don't need carbon in the long run, only for removing medication, so remove the carbon before medicating.
I'm not sure if what I called carbon is actually carbon. On the box they come in it says filter cartridges. All that is inside the filters are large sponges that take up most of the room then the filter cartridges. I clean them each once a week on different times, like I'll do 1 everytime I do the water changes. By cleaning I have been taking them to the bathtub, rinsing the filter cartridge with clean water and squeezing the sponge over and over with clean water running over until the water that squeezes out is clear. So should I even be doing any of thishit? Maybe over cleaning or doing it wrong is one of my problems.

Parkerboy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
NY
Any of this** I made a spelling mistake and it came out like a swear word. My apologies, I would hate to be in trouble on here already lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store