Do I need a permit to sell native fish?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I am keeping eastern mosquitofish, gambusia holbrooki, which are native to my area
I only have a small group right now but I know based on how densely planted my tank is and the breeding habits of mosquitofish, this tank is going to be overcrowded very soon.
I was thinking selling them off would be a good method, since my sunfish can't eat enough to control the population long term, but since they're native I was wondering if I need a permit to sell them even if they are tank raised and bred

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am keeping eastern mosquitofish, gambusia holbrooki, which are native to my area
I only have a small group right now but I know based on how densely planted my tank is and the breeding habits of mosquitofish, this tank is going to be overcrowded very soon.
I was thinking selling them off would be a good method, since my sunfish can't eat enough to control the population long term, but since they're native I was wondering if I need a permit to sell them even if they are tank raised and bred

Old thread but hopes it helpshttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/restricted-species-lists-by-state.36365/

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think you should check your state laws or get in contact with the environmental agency in the area for the best info. Good to look into options other than releasing for obvious reasons :)

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store