Do I need to cycle?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would add a gallon or 2 of bleach to the tank, fill it up and run the filters.And let it run for at least 24 hours.
Anything organic in the tank will turn white (such any algae left on the side, etc).
Drain the tank, fill it up again, and add dechorinator appropriate for the number of gallons.
Run another day, then add ammonia to begin a new "fish less" cycle.
Or not adding ammonia, get some cheap sacrificial fish for a "fish in" cycle
Bottled bacteria could save some time, in a week or 2 I'd start testing he water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate .
A normal cycle would take 6 to 8 weeks.
I would not add any "important fish until the tank is totally cycled (no ammonia, no nitrite, some nitrate)

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i never cycle my aquariums and use test strips, they always show its clean of nitrogen compounds
you could try this product

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
So I did every thing y’all said, thanks for all the help, I cleaned with bleach, and ran filters to clean out hoses. Then I drained tank, filters, hoses multiple times to get the bleach out. Filled up with water used sponges on the sides, and corners of tank, then drained that water and filled up with new, used sponges on inside of canister and media then turned on filters. I’ll update tmrw I have been working on the tank for 5 hours, I need sleep.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
Woke up to the tank smelling like chlorine even after I treated the water last night with prime, stability, stress zime, and ammolock, also orders FluvalSmart cycle to be able to add fish immediately for a “fishin” cycle

Reactions: tlindsey

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Chlorine evaporates with some surface agitation naturally, as far as my uneducated arse understands. If you can, dump the water and refill, overdose with prime, get the surface going, open windows and begin again. I’d wait a few days before adding that other stuff. My .02
GL

Reactions: MrDuckBootz

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
Thanks for the help, it sucked so bad loosing the tank, I had those DoviiXrose queen hybrids that I breed my self years ago the last remaining baby died in the tank. The parents were split up and sold because “douche” the dovii was gunna kill “strawberry” the rose queen and I didn’t want that to happen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store