Do lighter colors mean anything?

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
First off I feel bad for this guy….looks like he took a bite to the eye and has clearly lost his vision out of it allowing me to take a pic without moving. But in any case, most times this one is a lot lighter in color compared to the rest of them. Does this mean anything?

C15595B4-869C-406D-80C0-1A28EDF6DED3.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sorry to hear…I know a thing about piranhas taking eyes off fish:
7AB54CBC-6C4C-4F20-87D6-27BC6E7A462C.jpeg
Lighter color is probably due to stress and lack of dominance, similar to what is seen in subdominant cichlids.

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Sorry to hear…I know a thing about piranhas taking eyes off fish:
View attachment 1473076
Lighter color is probably due to stress and lack of dominance, similar to what is seen in subdominant cichlids.
Ok I thought maybe the lighter color was in indication of male / female.
A previous tank I had with piranhas, one of them got bit in the eye and the part that was bit was literally floating from his eye like it was on a string until somehow it was torn off. Needless to say it healed flush to the side of his head but still had a red blotch in the center

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ok I thought maybe the lighter color was in indication of male / female.
A previous tank I had with piranhas, one of them got bit in the eye and the part that was bit was literally floating from his eye like it was on a string until somehow it was torn off. Needless to say it healed flush to the side of his head but still had a red blotch in the center
If I’m correct the male female is simply males being thinner, but the only way to tell for sure is at breeding.
Piranhas are crazy…they can survive just about any injury that would spell doom for others.

Reactions: Maximus146

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
If I’m correct the male female is simply males being thinner, but the only way to tell for sure is at breeding.
Piranhas are crazy…they can survive just about any injury that would spell doom for others.
Yeah they’re skittish and hide like little babies but at the same time they’re resilient and super tough ??

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Most 'characins' (probably most fish) are very good at surviving losing an eye, so long as the injury is restricted to the eye, and does not develop secondary infections while healing. In fact, many characins specialize in preying upon other fish's eyes, fins, scales.
Shown is a very fuzzy shot of one my new colombian tetras (in qt now). I noticed the missing eye after they arrived home, and the fish seems healthy enough.
On the other hand, vision is very important in their foraging behavior, so while they can survive seemingly without issues, they probably suffer in foraging effectiveness and hierarchy within shoals. But not in an immediately obvious manner.

IMG_0358.jpg

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Most 'characins' (probably most fish) are very good at surviving losing an eye, so long as the injury is restricted to the eye, and does not develop secondary infections while healing. In fact, many characins specialize in preying upon other fish's eyes, fins, scales.
Shown is a very fuzzy shot of one my new colombian tetras (in qt now). I noticed the missing eye after they arrived home, and the fish seems healthy enough.
On the other hand, vision is very important in their foraging behavior, so while they can survive seemingly without issues, they probably suffer in foraging effectiveness and hierarchy within shoals. But not in an immediately obvious manner.

View attachment 1473077
Yep I can definitely see it there. Being I feed them mostly frozen shrimp, rather than live all the time, do you think it’s harder for it to find food?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yep I can definitely see it there. Being I feed them mostly frozen shrimp, rather than live all the time, do you think it’s harder for it to find food?
Piranhas have good smell and it still has a good eye. I think it will be able to find food easily. Biggest worry is a sneak attack from the other imo.

Reactions: Maximus146

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If it is an otherwise healthy fish in a not too overcrowded/predator-filled situation, I am sure it affects its abilities some, but not enough to matter much. In more challenging conditions, and or with health issues... that would be another story.

Maximus146

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2020
Piranhas have good smell and it still has a good eye. I think it will be able to find food easily. Biggest worry is a sneak attack from the other imo.
Yeah that’s my biggest worry but I think as long as he doesn’t appear to be weak, he should hopefully be ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store