Do you use charcoal on your planted tank

SCUBAFREAK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2006
USA
I know if you are treeting disease you are supposed to take out the charcoal because it will remove the medicine form the water. my question is will charcoal do the same thing to fertilizers added to the water. Let me know your opinions.

Thanks
Ryan

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I'm not sure, but it really isnt necessary to use it anyway (unless you plan on removing meds)

I dont use it on any of my tanks.

Mr.Geoff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2004
St.Louis
yes they can. i run no carbon in my fertilized discus tank.

SCUBAFREAK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2006
USA
That is what i was kinda thinking. i have a few plants in my 55 and i add fertilizer but a couple of the plants didnt do very well so i was just kinda thinking of solutions and remembered i had carbon in my canister filter. I think i am going to remove it. What are people running in there filters? Right now i have carbon and some media kinda like bio balls but a little different. I cant remember its proper name.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I don't use carbon either..

Mr.Geoff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2004
St.Louis
in one filter i run bio rings and the other one just a sponge filter to collect junk. seems to be working well for me

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I use course gravel and the pads that are made for the filters...the gravel has alot of surface area so it can support alot of bacteria!

spinnerbayt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
WV
I would take out the carbon but that might not be the only problem. What size tank? How much light do you have? What ferts are you adding? Substrate? Co2? Water = Gh, Ph, Kh, Po4, Nitrates? What plants are doing good and what plants are you having trouble with? We could use some more info to give a good answer and find a solution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store