Does anyone know what kind of alligator far this is? I'm hoping it's a smaller Florida variant, it's in a 125 gallon tank. It's about 12" now.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Looking gator to me.
Sorry it’s not what you want to hear.
What was it supposed to be when you picked it up?
A better picture of the head from top will help for 100% ID

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gator gar.

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Wait so there is more then one kind of alligator gar then? I always thought it was just the alligator gar and the other species of gar and their hybrids. Never knew there was more then just one specie of alligator gar out there.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Wait so there is more then one kind of alligator gar then? I always thought it was just the alligator gar and the other species of gar and their hybrids. Never knew there was more then just one specie of alligator gar out there.
A lot of people here in FL and other parts of the south call Lepisosteus platyrhincus alligator gars. This guy has SC as his location, so it could be a Southern colloquialism.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
A lot of people here in FL and other parts of the south call Lepisosteus platyrhincus alligator gars. This guy has SC as his location, so it could be a Southern colloquialism.
Ahh ok yeah when it comes to gar I'm just used to using only common names for em.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store