Does anyone know where to get Buffalo Carps?

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
I have been doing some research, quite a lot actually, and I have found zero info on any of the three species of Buffalo, bigmouth, smallmouth, or black buffalo. I seems as no one has sold them or no one even sells them. Must be shipped too. I live in wisconsin, and we can catch them, but it's rare for them to take bait and snagging is illegal here. Not only, if you hook up with one, it's going to be one for the fryer and not the aquarium.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
See if you can check at a hatchery, I know they have a lot of fish like that. I don't know where else you could get them aside from catching them

Reactions: Fishowner

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
It won't be easy as these are not commonky available they are filter feeders too
Hahaha I completely agree with you too, although for sure the bigmouth buffalo is almost all time filter feeder, the other two have been known on rare occurrence to eat small insects larvae and other stuff carp eat but RARELY, apparently buffalos and carp love to eat cottonwood tree seeds too. Also, not commonly available? More like I never seen them available before.

local hero

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2006
...in my head
I would try calling/emailing http://www.osagecatfisheries.com/ or http://www.jonahsaquarium.com/ they should have them or be able to get them. I am keeping small mouth, large mouth, and black buffalos currently in large public exhibits. All the fish have been in my care for over a decade and are growing well on a diet of pellets from Ziegler and gel diet formulas from Mazuri.

Reactions: Fishowner

KenisFishRoom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
Try the black market aka Craigslist/fb marketplace/eBay. I’ve found some wack fish on those sites. Also try some of the exotic fish sites that take requests. You could request one...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store