Does no pets = no fish for lease?

DenisD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2007
Moncton NB
Hey everyone,

I just got appartment insurance the other day and it covers everything and the insurance company said to knock myself out when it comes to big tanks, they don't restrict them for coverage

For my appartment lease, it says no pets.

If ever I buy a 180 and it falls through the floor :) does this mean I would not be covered as it says no pets in the appartment?

Thanks!

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
Just call and ask them lol.

Fish a lot of times aren't considered "pets."

The apartment I am in now doesn't allow pets but we have a 125 gallon.

The apartment I am going to makes you pay extra for pets... but I am going to put a tank in there and I don't have to pay extra. So they don't consider them pets.

But seriously... just call them and ask

bggstworm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
Below the surface......
dbcb314;919915; said:
Just call and ask them lol.

Fish a lot of times aren't considered "pets."

The apartment I am in now doesn't allow pets but we have a 125 gallon.

The apartment I am going to makes you pay extra for pets... but I am going to put a tank in there and I don't have to pay extra. So they don't consider them pets.

But seriously... just call them and ask

Yep that's true; fish are not considered pets....

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Yeah no pets usually means no cats/dogs. The "no pets" apartments I've lived in are generally OK with fish; in fact I only had one that had a problem with anything besides a cat or dog.

Scorponok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2005
cybertron in cyberspace
Fish are living ornaments, not pets.

Use your common sense. If it's a 20g goldfish tank it should be fine. But a 180g and you think it might crash through the floor then ask or don't do it. A lot of apartments says no to water bed because of weight and possible leak. It's comparable to a big fish tank.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I agree, ask before it's a problem.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
The main thing landlords are worried about are property damage and liability...Other than getting some poor unsuspecting fool hooked on the hobby you dont hear a lot in the news about people bieng mauled by monster fish....lol They might worry a bit if they had a clue just how many huge tanks you'd put in if you could.....but I've yet to a see 'no pets' apartment that didnt allow fish...at least on the ground floor.

barley pop

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2006
IL
if something happens (like a fire or something) the ins company will replace the tank, stand, filters and the like but, they would not replace the fish. their is an exclusion for domestic animals. and yes they would consider them domestic animals

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Like mentioned, a lot of animals dont want animals of the furry kind that generate lots of smell. All of mine had a no pets policy, but i was even allowed reptiles. Wurms advice is as good as any... ask beforehand.

DenisD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2007
Moncton NB
Hey guys,
I spoke to the landlord and he was fine with me getting a big tank.
The only issue is our 3 story appartment (I live on the 2nd floor) has wooden floors and is probably close to 50 years old...
A 150 tall aga would be a lot of weight over a small surface uh? I mean we are talking 1700ish pounds here....you guys think I am okay if I put it against the outside wall of the appartment?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store