Does Non-pellet Food + Vitamins = Same as Pellets?

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
So just as the title says.

I have a Petenia Splendida who literally refuses to eat anything except freeze-dried krill; so I have been covering it in vita-chem.

My questions are: Is this close to or similar to feeding it a vitamin enhanced pellet? Is this sustainable long term or do I have to ween them off of the krill? All of my fish LOVE krill, but the others get a very varied diet.

Thank you,
Matt

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The only issue with krill, and this appears to be at the least species dependant, is the effect that the fluoride found in krill can have on the growth and overall health of a fish. Fluoride can accumulate in the kidneys and bones, which is why the EU restricts the amount that farms can use in their feed, for fish destined for human consumption. See more in link below. Personally I would not feed krill as a main staple, all fish can be trained to eat other foods, even other fresh/frozen foods.

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Bummer I had no idea! I have been feeding it for almost a year. Thankfully the rest of the stock has a varied diet. Thank so much fo the reply!

Matt

Matthew1626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2013
Denver
Very good. Yes, that (vita-chem) is what I use sprinkle on the krill every third day or so. I just can’t get the one fish to even consider anything else.

Thanks for your reply!

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
My snook has always been cautious of new foods at first, but he goes ham on anything after his first taste.

Ironically it's my Oscar who seems to be stuck on krill, live worms, and frozen fish/shrimp pieces. Dude won't touch pellets to save his life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store