Doing water changes on large aquariums

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
I have been doing my research on google and I have come across several different ways do do large water changes. What would be the easiest and safest way to do a water change on a 180 gallon aquarium?

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Get a Python water changer system, you won't regret it at all.
It connects to a faucet and with it you can both drain then refill your tanks.

You can save water and just let it siphon drain after you use it to get going.

When you refill put in half of your declorinator when you start. Then the rest when half full.

I do this every three days on two 125s.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
Thanks. Even if I did a 50 percent water change the fish would be fine with some declorinator in the tank?
I would think that 90 gallons of tap water could have a bad effect on them

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks. Even if I did a 50 percent water change the fish would be fine with some declorinator in the tank?
I would think that 90 gallons of tap water could have a bad effect on them
Prime will grab the chlorine instantly. Just poor in the Prime where the new water in flowing into the tank. 50% of the declorinator when you start 50% when half full. Drop it right into the area the new water is flowing into the tank.

Always declorinatorinate for total water volume, not just what you took out. The new water mixes with the old so need to clear the full volume.

For instance I have a 125g tank. It has two FX4s filters, each holds 2 gallons, so I treat for 130gallons.

ryang85

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2019
I have a 180gal and do about a 75 gallon water change. I run a nitrate reactor so my nitrates are extremely low already. I use a 15 foot garden hose and siphon it it out my door into my back yard. Then I have a 50 foot hose from my washing machine connections( to adjust water temps) to fill. I even have a zip tie with a clamp to clamp my hoses to the rim of the tank to I dont have to sit there and hold them. Takes me about 10 minutes with 90 percent of the time sitting my on couch. The trick is to drain your sump then start filling your sump back up while your tank is draining. My sump is 40 gallons so that helps the process.

I add a capful of prime before I start filling. Or right after I start. I'm lucky and my water has chlorine so even if I dont add prime it evaporates pretty quickly and has never effected any beneficial bacteria. Your water may have chloramine so it dosnt hurt to add the prescribed amount. I know people who havnt used any dechlorinator for many years and have no problems so it all depends on your tap water.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have been doing my research on google and I have come across several different ways do do large water changes. What would be the easiest and safest way to do a water change on a 180 gallon aquarium?
I also have a 180, and I do about a 70% wc twice a week. I use a spring plastic clip to secure a garden hose to the tank, and just let it drain outside. Takes about 40min to remove about 70% of the water. I then use a pocket hose attached to my washing machine's water spigot via my crazy contraption. I use a combination of hot and cold water to maintain the tanks temp. Takes about 30min to refill.hose.jpg

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I got an bead filter with backwash pushing 12000L/h through it so it takes about 8 minutes to drain 50% of my 3200L tank. Then just refill that takes time about 25-30minutes to fill.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
I live in a place that has a temperature about ten degrees lower than my tank year round so draining outside wouldn’t work for me. I will probably do what Jexnell said.
Thanks for the advice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store