Doing water changes on large aquariums

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I made a my own drain line with a 25 foot section of 1.25" vinyl hose from the hardware store and a homemade pvc hanger with a strainer. The pvc is cut to length so it only drains to the level I set it for and breaks it own siphon, and I just drain it out into the yard. You won't regret how fast this method is over smaller diameter hose. I then have a 6 foot section of garden hose adapted to a barb fitting that I can quickly attach, or detach from the vinyl hose to refill right back through the same line. This is a huge time saver for me having to do 8 tanks. Then I do a deep clean and gravel vac periodically, but if I'm trying to knock out some water changes and save time, I can do all my tanks with glass cleaning in a couple hours this way.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the states I used normal flow of water to the sump to send old water outside to the garden.
So plumbing for water changes was semi-permanently set up. In the dead of winter, the garden was not an option, so old water was redirected inside.

The upper vertical 2" line normally sent water to a sump.
When I opened the red valve instead of going to the sump water was redirected to the garden.
Took less than 5 minutes to send about 70 gallons of old water out.

I also had semi permanent lines from the tap to tanks, for replacement with new water .

Took a little longer to fill, because in winter tap water was often below 40"F, but I always did warm water tanks first, cool water fish later..
This set up made every other day water changes quick and easy on about 1000 gallons of tanks.
No attaching, or reattaching of Pythons (although I had done that in the past, just flip the switch (valve)).
I do use buckets for some water to swish media around in old water to remove detritus.
When adjusting temp, I always had a bucket of sand that needed rinsing, under that line, being anal about making use of all water.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I have been doing my research on google and I have come across several different ways do do large water changes. What would be the easiest and safest way to do a water change on a 180 gallon aquarium?
I have 600 gallon and I have a hole with a flush mount strainer in a bulkhead a little more then half way down, I have it plumbed in to a drain so all I have to do is open a ball valve and it will drain about 60% and at the same time I have a water line plumbed in to the tank too so I just open both valves and set a timer. I will have a few geophagus to help stir the sand and keep it clean.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I live in a place that has a temperature about ten degrees lower than my tank year round so draining outside wouldn’t work for me. I will probably do what Jexnell said.
Thanks for the advice
I'm sorry but I am missing something why can you drain it out side? Even if you keep gold fish that should still only be around 55 degrees

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
I won’t be able to drain it outside during winter because it will be too cold. It stays around 0 degrees in the winter for me.
It’s also snowing all the time.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I won’t be able to drain it outside during winter because it will be too cold. It stays around 0 degrees in the winter for me.
It’s also snowing all the time.
[/QUO

Sorry but I still dont get that, if the ball valve is in the house when you shut it from the end of the valve to the end of the pipe there wont be any water. I live in ct and I never had a problem on my old tank. Also just dont have it drain on a sidewalk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store