Dragon Goby

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey all- saved a dragon goby from petsupermarket. and by saved I mean i looked at the employee and said "uh, he's dying" employee responds with "yes".... at that point I was like okay so give him to me and I'll give him a fighting shot. HOWEVER. as it turns out, i dont know **** about Gobies. I know they prefer brackish but CAN do freshwater, and I know he's been in freshwater for quite some time. Homeboy was laying on his side, gasping for air, etc. the usual deaths door activities. Some how he survived the 45 minutes home, plus hour or so it took me to set up a quarantine tank with a cycled filter and media and all that jazz. I threw in my go to medicine (melafix+paraguard+stability) hes got a heater, filter, and a little rock cave of sorts. He's moving around a lot more and has perked up significantly. I'm curious though, what's normal dragon goby behavior? also how easily do they get out of tanks? this one has a cover, but when he's all better and goes in the 300 gallon that just has egg crate on the top. ( a rope fish disappeared 3 months ago. still haven't found the damn thing). Goby guy seems to take really really deep breaths. Like gasping for air. but still chillin on the bottom. is that normal? hes also very skinny. I have sinking carnivore pellets, and blood worms for him. because hes quarantined he has no substrate. But im reading their main way to get food is to filter it out of the substrate. So should I add some? thanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s probably still adjusting to your water and why it’s breathing fast. Will need to be kept in brackish water for best results. It is a filter feeder and need some substrate for it to feed. Although I’ve seen a few take food from a pipette with food that’s been very much pulverized. Keep ur water clean and add some salt slowly, over a 10 day period should help to get the salinity up. Hope it survives.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Also would keep the tank covered. If the fish is thicker than the egg crate spaces then should be fine but a complete cover will be always better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store