Dream displays?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
What are some display tanks that you'd love to have?

I've got a few that I think would be cool.

One would be a large paludarium, with gars and polys in the aquatic section, and some kind of reptile in the "land" part. Either green tree pythons or giant day geckos were my thoughts for reptiles in this setup. I'd love to incorporate a big wolf fish, but that would probably have to be in a species tank - perhaps it could be tied into the system.

Another would be a rather large setup, with probably 1-3 australian lungfish for the bottom, a fly river turtle swimming around, and a large school of rainbowfish in there as well (australian, boesmani, etc). Stocking would be simple, but I think this tank could come out to be a very nice-looking setup.

Yet a third - would be a large ray setup. I'd probably keep some really nice-looking motoros in here, although boesmani would also be a consideration. I'd keep 1-2 big niger catfish in here, and a couple of silver aros as well. Other than that, there'd be a big school of red hooks, plus some pairs/groups of uaru, chocolate cichlid, severums, geophagus, and some banded leporinus - maybe some midas in there as well.

One day I want a big shark setup - focusing on bonnetheads and southern rays, with various Floridian fish in it, like snook and gags. Feeding time would be SWEET. Tied into this, I would want a tank designed to look like a Florida Keys reef, with a green moray as the centerpiece - mutton snapper are beautiful, I might have to keep them in here as well.

Ok ok, one more for now. This would be a cube, at least 2' on every side, and there would be seagrass on the entire bottom. Rockwork would come up, and there would be Xenia or Anthelia growing on here (a pinkish color) over the entire thing. I have two ideas for stocking - either a group of firefish, or a group of dwarf cuttlefish. Either would be awesome.

So what about you? What are some cool displays you'd like to do?
Drew

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
I would do a massive group of clown loaches with dats, peacock bass, trio of silver arowanas and some rays. Another tank would be a west African tank with some polys, a massive group of synodontis, west African cichlids, a large group of distichodus and a large school of Congo tetras. The last tank would be a south American tank with a group of silver arowanas like 6-7, a couple Niger catfish, some rays, lots of different cichlids like oscars and vejas and a group of peacock bass.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My dream is a massive tank like 8ft wide, 6ft high, and 20ft long. I would try and scape it like I just used a Star Trek transporter beam and beamed in a section of the Amazonian River. With banks and trees on each side.

Reactions: celebrist

Abyssalisk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
Utah
40' x 8' x 8' paludarium with rays, aros, and schools of cichla in the water. The land would have water dragons, basilisks, and sailfin dragons. Turtles would be splashed in as well. Decor would be amazon style with ledges, cliffs, waterfalls, trees, etc.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
ha thats my dream tank with a peacock bass also
400 gallons is your dream tank? I love the idea of a peacock bass tank, but I'd want to go BIG. I like Abyssalisk Abyssalisk 's idea of a 40x8x8 tank, for starters. About 3-4 feet of the height would be water - the rest would be an open-air section for reptiles.

My aquatic stocking would be something along the lines of:
  • 8-9 leopoldi rays
  • 12-18 peacock bass (either some nice Peruvian Monos or Rio Meta Orinos, numbers would depend on the species I chose)
  • Around 50 red hook silver dollars
  • Probably around 20 total cichlids, a combination of severums and synspilum
  • A single large tiger shovelnose catfish
My stocking would be kept simple, I prefer the look of a simple tank to a cluttered one where you're fighting to focus on a single fish or group of fish.
In the open-air section, I would have green iguanas - again, keeping it simple. I would probably have a male and two females in this enclosure, with plenty of space to roam around.

Man, designing big tanks is fun!
Drew

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
400 gallons is your dream tank? I love the idea of a peacock bass tank, but I'd want to go BIG. I like Abyssalisk Abyssalisk 's idea of a 40x8x8 tank, for starters. About 3-4 feet of the height would be water - the rest would be an open-air section for reptiles.

My aquatic stocking would be something along the lines of:
  • 8-9 leopoldi rays
  • 12-18 peacock bass (either some nice Peruvian Monos or Rio Meta Orinos, numbers would depend on the species I chose)
  • Around 50 red hook silver dollars
  • Probably around 20 total cichlids, a combination of severums and synspilum
  • A single large tiger shovelnose catfish
My stocking would be kept simple, I prefer the look of a simple tank to a cluttered one where you're fighting to focus on a single fish or group of fish.
In the open-air section, I would have green iguanas - again, keeping it simple. I would probably have a male and two females in this enclosure, with plenty of space to roam around.

Man, designing big tanks is fun!
Drew
Yeah 400 gallon tank for now is my dream tank because it is much more manageable and possible than let's say a 5000 gallon. Even though I would love a tank that size, I'd rather enjoy a smaller tank than just dream about a large tank and never own it

Bandit87

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yeah 400 gallon tank for now is my dream tank because it is much more manageable and possible than let's say a 5000 gallon. Even though I would love a tank that size, I'd rather enjoy a smaller tank than just dream about a large tank and never own it
On this thought, dream one day a couple 600 -1k tanks to mess with when I have my house. Until then, a 6X3 will do

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Dream display?

Hmm. First choice is definitely an African river tank! 4ft with lots of rocks, some wood and a lot of vallis uth good flow, stocking African glass catfish and small labeo catfish

Next would be something like a 6 x 2 x 2 tank, lots of wood, floating plants, anubias, crinums, and a bunch of African brown knives! Something like ctenopoma and African longfin tetras for tankmates.

This would be a shady tank with lots of interesting inhabitants :)

Lastly is a nice aquascape which is currently in progress :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store