Driftwood Question

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
I have a roughly 7 foot long piece of awesome driftwood that I’ve never had much use for other than decoration. However, with my 400 gallon due to arrive next week I was thinking it might actually work perfectly for the tank. That in mind, had a couple of questions to see if you think it’s safe.

- I found this on the beach (so presumably saltwater). It’s been dry for around 5 years, so would this be safe for a new freshwater tank?

- If safe should I expect the same tannin staining I experienced with the last store bought driftwood I put in the current tank?

- New tank is acrylic, would I need to build a base of some kind for it or would it be ok to sit directly on the tank?

Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be safe if dried out for 5 years. Still can leak out tannins. Driftwood should be safe to place on acrylic.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Something that size will probably take months to sink. I would definitely be looking at how to tie it in place while floating so it don't put marks all over the new acrylic.
Being ocean driftwood you would think most of the tannins have released, but won't know till you get it in some water.
Any salt release you think would be diluted by water volume and water changes.

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Yeah, I’m torn on it because I’m setting this one up from scratch and not transitioning anything from the existing tank (bad snail infestation) except for the fish and I want to make sure everything cycles and is perfect for the stock moving over. Worried about salt content, though I do use light aquarium salt in the tank now. Tannins not as big a worry since it’s really only coloration as far as impacts. All of the Aro, PB and Clownknife should be fine I’d imagine.
Should be safe if dried out for 5 years. Still can leak out tannins. Driftwood should be safe to place on acrylic.
Something that size will probably take months to sink. I would definitely be looking at how to tie it in place while floating so it don't put marks all over the new acrylic.
Being ocean driftwood you would think most of the tannins have released, but won't know till you get it in some water.
Any salt release you think would be diluted by water volume and water changes.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
The primary concern would be type of wood. If it is a conifer then it is not safe. A picture helps.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Problems from salt and all concerns about being marine are negligible, IMO. After all, all wood comes from the land, not the ocean! I would just rinse and remove any bark or loose pieces and that's it.
Your challenge lies in getting it to sink and stay in place until it stays on its own. For a much smaller piece I used, it took about one year until I could cut the cable ties attaching to rocks. But if it is a nice piece and you like it, then more power to you. Enjoy it!

Reactions: gatormfk
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store