Driftwood, to use or not to use

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Purchased a lot of driftwood online, that was advertised as Malaysian driftwood. In person does not look like Malaysian driftwood I already own, most pieces are much lighter in weight and color in comparison. My biggest concern is this driftwood has a strong odor similar to pine or cedar. How do I tell if this will be aquarium safe for fish or not?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Purchased a lot of driftwood online, that was advertised as Malaysian driftwood. In person does not look like Malaysian driftwood I already own, most pieces are much lighter in weight and color in comparison. My biggest concern is this driftwood has a strong odor similar to pine or cedar.
Post a couple pictures and you'll get better replies. Or post where it was bought online.

How do I tell if this will be aquarium safe for fish or not?
Tbh, no one can tell you with a certainty if it's safe, other than it's safe if it is what they said it was and safe if it was handled properly. Otherwise, any object can contain toxic chemicals if it's mishandled. Reputable sellers will be much safer, but no one has perfect control.

If I had a big concern, I'd put it in some water with some inexpensive but otherwise healthy fish, and make sure they survived for a day or two.

If you suspect something else, there's always an option to use something like bleach or boiling water as a disinfectant.

Reactions: tlindsey

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
I'll post a few pics later, though not sure how it will help. Purchased it through a private seller online who told me he bought it from a LFS as Malaysian driftwood. I've always been told aromatic woods aren't good because they can leech undesirable compounds into water. Looks alright and sinks fine, but has a very strong resin odor. Don't really want to add it to tank, even with cheap fish, if strong chance it will negatively impact water.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
pictures definitely help, but it you are concerned I would err on the side of caution and not use it. Not worth killing your fish.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I only use driftwood in my tanks I purchase from my local fish store who sells pieces that are in his tanks already. I put it in a bucket of hot water for a few days before it goes in my tanks, Personally I don't buy driftwood online, I learned the hard way had some garbage with cedar odor and ended up losing a tank with my pleco and veija Argentae juvies. I wouldn't trust that stuff.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
IMG_1256.JPG The price was right for a decent looking lot of driftwood so it seemed like a worthwhile gamble. I've gotten most of my best large pieces of driftwood online, as local stores want way to much. I have decided against using this driftwood as the strong resin odor raises too many concerns. Included is a pic of driftwood.

Reactions: Yoimbrian
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store