Driftwood

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello, I am scaping my 55 again. Real driftwood and real rocks. I was just wondering if the Reptile Wood is ok. I, also going to find wood around my canyon area, but I’ll be sure it is some tree identifiable by me. Manzanita wood is appealing to me as well. And lastly, I put the wood in a pot of boiling water for an hour and then dry outside?

Edit: is Granite Schist ok? And is a cholla wood thing ok? Lastly, if I got the curing thing wrong, please correct me. Thanks for your time!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not necessarily. If you knew it was from a safe tree (some are not safe for use in fish systems) then you could try soaking it. If it doesn’t just disintegrate, it could still be used but expect really tannin stained water. 89B5EC2B-E1BF-409D-98B1-766D3084E943.jpeg
This chunk of oak trunk and root system (in the centre) had been rotting for years before I knocked off all the lose rotten bits and used it .
50% weekly water changes here are used just to see in the tank! Rather than for the fishes benefit.

As for cholla wood.
It’s another soft wood so will disintegrate eventually and faster than something like mopani, but it’s safe to use as long as it’s not treated. Boiling it is good but I would not then let it dry out. I would personally transfer it to clean water bucket where I weight it down with a stone to soak. When it stops floating I would transfer it to my tank.

Last edited:

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Ive heard that mopani wood and reptile wood is good for awhile but starts to kind of peel and fall apart. Just like Fishman Dave Fishman Dave said.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I got some kind of wood from Joshua Tree. Just some sticks, which I want to add to the patio pond. If I don’t know what tree it came from, what do I do?

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I got some kind of wood from Joshua Tree. Just some sticks, which I want to add to the patio pond. If I don’t know what tree it came from, what do I do?
You can post pics. A lot of people are good at identifying them.

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
I have WDEFUN natural coral driftwood in my 40 gallon aquarium I boiled the wood for 10+ hours with baking soda and soaked it for a week and it still keeps coloring my water but it is absolutely worth it - my fish love it and it looks amazing. I will be able to attach plants to them and create an unbelievable setting for my fish, one that I'll be proud to show off to my friends. These fit wonderfully in my 40 gallon aquarium and add so much to the overall aquarium environment. They are heavy enough that no weights are needed, and a beautiful dark color that won't fade away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store