Drip system. Fool proof ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Are they really fool proof ? What can go wrong and cause a flood ?

Also what equipment determins when and how much water is drained ? What is responaible for filling and what stops it at a certain level ?

How do tou determin where to drill the sump ?

Im in well water so i dont need any filters just a safe means of removing and adding water.

Reactions: markstrimaran

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
You use a flow restrictor or a drip emitter to control the flow. On my setup I have it dripping into the tank and the overflow is in the sump. Height of the overflow will be determined my a couple variables: will there be enough room for overfill if the power goes off, will there be enough water left for the pump to operate when power returns.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Later today I'm going to put a video of my drip set up together for you jaws. I need to do it anyway for a fish club presentation next month...this will give me the incentive to get it done! Lol

They are definitely fool proof. My tank is literally impossible to overfill. I drill my sump at the pump end as high up as possible. My drip goes in the tank at the return end. I have mine cranked way up because I have rays and a very large aro.

Reactions: JK47

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You use a flow restrictor or a drip emitter to control the flow. On my setup I have it dripping into the tank and the overflow is in the sump. Height of the overflow will be determined my a couple variables: will there be enough room for overfill if the power goes off, will there be enough water left for the pump to operate when power returns.
Later today I'm going to put a video of my drip set up together for you jaws. I need to do it anyway for a fish club presentation next month...this will give me the incentive to get it done! Lol

They are definitely fool proof. My tank is literally impossible to overfill. I drill my sump at the pump end as high up as possible. My drip goes in the tank at the return end. I have mine cranked way up because I have rays and a very large aro.
Thx Bigfishnut Bigfishnut

So guys can the flow control fail ? If so then what stops it from flooding ?

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Had mine up and running for about 5 months now. LOVE IT. I don’t see what could go wrong with it personally. I’m not on a well so I had to install a carbon and sediment filter but put a drip emitter on it to control the gph you want flowing in and than just drill a bulkhead in the sump where you want you water level to stay at so right above your return pumps or higher if you wanted too. Not the most detailed answer but that’s about it lol. And what stops it from flooding is the overflow drain on your sump.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
J jaws7777 i would think about it without the use of a sump. So I set up a drip on my 180g that I’m using 3 ac110s on. I drilled two 1/2 drains at the top of the tank. I drip about 2 gph. As the water rises from incoming water it goes into the drains which empty out to a sink my laundry room. My two 1/2 drains can handle more flow than my incoming line so no matter how much water comes in it will never overflow the tank.

Biggest risk for me is drains getting clogged which is why I did two. Now apply the same concept but with a sump. As mentioned you need to incorporate appropriate remaining water so you don’t ever run a pump dry.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE

I'm curious myself. I need to get mine rolling.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I've been envisioning what a drip system could look like and what'd I do for the past 3 years LOL.

Tagging along to Frank's thread to learn more. As much as I'd like one I dont see myself getting out of vacuuming substrate which is the part I least like for WC.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store